Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mindhorn.

Great comedy featuring the Isle of Mans greatest plain clothes detective

This weekends choices were:

Booksmart - Superbad with girls

Palm Springs - Groundhog Day, but at a wedding and with lots of swearing

Neither were groundbreaking and the latter was pretty cheesy but both enjoyable.

‘Priscilla, Queen of the Desert’ - showing it’s age a bit now but still a gentle laugh.
‘Limehouse Golem’ - some great faces, including Paul Ritter, with enjoyable twists and turns.

A Shot in the Dark, classic Sellers, son loved it also

Re-watched Dredd on Netflix last night.
Great adaptation of the comic.

Then re-watched 'Death of Stalin,' also on Netflix
Black comedy based on the power struggle after Stalins death.
Steve Bucemi is magnificent in it.

we were watching beat the chaser on itv tonight and one of the questions was “who starred in When Harry met Sally”. We both shouted out Meg Ryan. Then I turned to her and said “never seen it. It’s a bird’s film”. She gave me that look. Then we turned over to bbc1 and the same film was just about to start. So we couldn’t not really. And I have to say, they just don’t make them like this anymore.. totally laugh out loud, but at the same time engaging and endearing and totally engrossing. Maybe I’m getting soppy in my old age, and I’m sure every generation thinks that their generation is a golden age of cinema, but the 80’s just seemed to produce so many classic films. Can’t believe I missed this one. Glad I caught it eventually.

Watched the Bruce Willis film 'Surrogate', the missus put it on so didn't know what we'd sat down to watch but I thoroughly enjoyed it as I love a bit of sci fi .

"They Live" last night great film although the leading actor is a bit wooden.

Absolute classic! Rowdy Roddy Piper, the lead, was a professional wrestler so he does come off a bit wooden in his acting. But his one liners are legendary.

TL.jpg

Been recommended a film Dark Waters about Teflon invention. Anyone seen it
Just watched it last week. The movie itself was ok but the true story it was based on really makes you think about everyday household items.

Just watched it last week. The movie itself was ok but the true story it was based on really makes you think about everyday household items.
Yeah saw it bit scary virtually every living thing has got some inside them.

Watched The true history of the Kelly gang on Amazon the other night. It starts really well with a good performance from Russell Crowe and the first half of the film was good, however after that it deteriorates into a pure fantasy of director Justin Kurzel which bears no resemblance with reality and in fact becomes rather absurd. Not recommended.

Watched The Escapist last night. This film seems to be trying to be another Shawshank Redemption but fails pretty miserably despite a strong cast and in particular Brian Cox who plays the lead. Too many confusing moments and a prison 'system' that bears no likeness to real British prisons (not that I have been in any).
New arrivals go through a bizarre initiation where they walk almost naked to their cells, watched by all the inmates who surround the place and overseen by guards who seem to let the prisoners run the place. In fact the prison is run by head convict Damian Lewis. Non of the modern comforts that are allowed in cells these days (like electricity). Then there is an inmate who has the run of a makeshift laboratory and creates a synthetic 'Kat' like drug by the kilo. The essential prison rape that all prison films have to have these days and a very confused plot with constant time shifts to the escape which hasn't happened yet.

Not recommended

Back