Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched Dune a few days ago. Very good compared to the **** one with Sting in it.

Not watched my 4k copy yet, but loved it in all it’s imax glory, the first time we meet a worm is cinema at its best. Not heard if they are doing part 2 yet but I hope so. Off to reread my old battered copies, like you it’s many years since I read them

Watched Another Round on Netflix thought it was very good. its about 4, 40 Yr old teachers who decide to document the effects of mainintaing always being slightly drunk. Very entertaining with a good underlying story, it's subtitled

Really hated the first one.
Like a cross between the Smurfs and Dances with Wolves
It's a loooong film but doesn't feel quite as long as it might, the pace could have been an awful lot quicker. A bit of a disclosure, I have moderate amblyopia in my right eye, so I have a very slight squint when I'm tired. The side effect of this is that I see hardly any 3D, though yes a bit. This film remarkably even showed as 3D for me which is undeniably a rather fun experience. There is almost complete believability in everything done on the film, it doesn't feel like watching a cartoon, and the characters are consistent yet show development through the film. I found the adoration of the father figure as the strong protector, the soldier to be obeyed, just too much like US right wing gun culture to me and grated throughout. However there are nods that this behaviour is not the ideal it's supposed to be, and of the failings it brings, but they are pretty subtle. There are also some clever scenes later in the film that highlight the moral ambiguities of killing, and that animalistic anger justified in the face of attack, can still be repulsive. A character dies in the film, and it had zero emotional impact which I found interesting in observing my own reactions that I wasn't emotionally invested in that character.

However, it is an event film, there genuinely hasn't been a film to come close to the imagery being shown, it is a complete step ahead of the last one. In my view it was lacking some classic cinematography with close ups that would have helped with an emotional intensity. I suspect that's due to the lack of 3D impression on close up and that the nuances of expression are still a challenge for CGI. It is in my view definitely worth going to the cinema to watch, just for the experience of where we are at in terms of technology. Plot is far too predictable, and it's missing the emotional intensity that was better developed in the first.

Very fair point, it is an event movie. Enjoy and stick up your view of it.

I will probably not be able to make the cinema to see it this time.

It's a loooong film but doesn't feel quite as long as it might, the pace could have been an awful lot quicker. A bit of a disclosure, I have moderate amblyopia in my right eye, so I have a very slight squint when I'm tired. The side effect of this is that I see hardly any 3D, though yes a bit. This film remarkably even showed as 3D for me which is undeniably a rather fun experience. There is almost complete believability in everything done on the film, it doesn't feel like watching a cartoon, and the characters are consistent yet show development through the film. I found the adoration of the father figure as the strong protector, the soldier to be obeyed, just too much like US right wing gun culture to me and grated throughout. However there are nods that this behaviour is not the ideal it's supposed to be, and of the failings it brings, but they are pretty subtle. There are also some clever scenes later in the film that highlight the moral ambiguities of killing, and that animalistic anger justified in the face of attack, can still be repulsive. A character dies in the film, and it had zero emotional impact which I found interesting in observing my own reactions that I wasn't emotionally invested in that character.

However, it is an event film, there genuinely hasn't been a film to come close to the imagery being shown, it is a complete step ahead of the last one. In my view it was lacking some classic cinematography with close ups that would have helped with an emotional intensity. I suspect that's due to the lack of 3D impression on close up and that the nuances of expression are still a challenge for CGI. It is in my view definitely worth going to the cinema to watch, just for the experience of where we are at in terms of technology. Plot is far too predictable, and it's missing the emotional intensity that was better developed in the first.
My 2 youngest daughters hate the film. Not because it’s a bad film but because they work in a cinema and normally get away at 11.15 but since avatar has come out they don’t get away to after 12.
Good news is they both drive and I no longer have to go collect them from work 👌

Watched Last Night in Soho on Sky.. not a bad a bad thriller all in all, stars Anya Taylor-Joy (who was superb in The Queens Gambit), also Diana Riggs final role..

The best bit was Happy House by Siouxsie and the Banshees the first Band I saw in1977 😀

Back