Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
Recently watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. I was totally blown away by the movie, and it had the type of ending that I love.
There's a coincidence, I just watched it this evening and you're right it's a belter. The ending took me by surprise, but I thought the tone was perfect and it worked really well. That's 3 for 3 for Martin McDonagh, I loved In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths too.

Watched the new Tomb Raider last night. Really enjoyed it - a big improvement on the first one. Not having a lead character with a mouth like a sink plunger was a big help...

.... Tom Hardy though was a HUGE casting mistake, his acting belongs in something like a bad (is there any other kind?) soap, not on the cinema screen... It was a phoned in performance, only he was physically present for it.

Funny you should say this. I watched Mad Max Fury Road last night and it was terrible (not that I expect much from a Mad Max movie) but it made me wonder whether I'd actually seen Tom Hardy in a movie that he didn't mumble his way through.

Funny you should say this. I watched Mad Max Fury Road last night and it was terrible (not that I expect much from a Mad Max movie) but it made me wonder whether I'd actually seen Tom Hardy in a movie that he didn't mumble his way through.
Ooh I'm going to have to disagree with you there, I loved Fury Road! It's a proper old fashioned action movie done perfectly, and the fact that it was made with practical effects rather than being another CGI-fest makes this a must-see imo.

My son (14) talked us into watching a marvel film every sat night, reluctantly watched 4 up to now and quite enjoying them tbh.
Iron man
Iron man 2
Thor
Captain america
On the cards for next sat is avengers, I don't know what I expected from these films but they are quite different and entertaining.
I'm not a huge Marvel fan but wait till you get to Civil War which is great and Thor Ragnarok which is imo the best of them. A fantastic movie.

Hi!
Snap!
Another plus for Three Billboards . . . was the Townes van Zandt song, Buckskin Stallion Blues, featured twice in the movie.
Agreed, there's no denying McDonagh knows how to use music.

Probably not, it did him a favour putting a sort of gimp mask on him..... He actually made a fairly good Bane... lmao

A few more to mention.

The Mrs made me watch The Greatest Showman and I thought it was a self-important load of drivel to be honest. Not quite as bad as Moulan Rouge with regards to being "style over substance" but it's up there.

I loved It Comes At Night, which is a beautiful, bleak psychological thriller, shot mostly with natural lighting which gives it an amazing dark, atmospheric quality. The changing aspect ratio throughout really adds to the claustrophobic paranoia of the movie and Joel Edgerton's performance is brilliant. If you liked The Road then this is well worth a look. Despite the title this isn't a "creature" horror movie, so don't watch it with those expectations or you'll be disappointed.

Another great movie is You Were Never Really Here. A brilliant performance by Joaquin Pheonix in another rather dark and powerful film as the ex soldier suffering from PTSD. The old film-making mantra of "show, don't tell" is demonstrated beautifully here, revealing information without shoving it down your throat. Not the most original storyline but this is an interesting take on it and it's a very well made movie.

Last night I watched Black Mirror: Bandersnatch which was one of the most interesting things I've watched recently. If you haven't heard of this, it's an interactive movie which means at various points you get to choose the path the character takes, meaning that there are various different endings. That in itself is an interesting gimmick, but it's much more than that because it actually ties in with the story in a very clever, meta sort of way. Check this one out on Netflix, even if the narrative doesn't grip you it's still pretty entertaining.

Last edited:
Hi!
Watched 211 the other day - that's 90 minutes I'll never get back!
Nicholas Cage continues to demonstrate execrable taste in choosing which movies to appear in.
Bohemian Rhapsody is outstanding, although not yet (legally) available on TV.

Saw Creep (2014 US film, not the 2004ish UK one). Reasonable 'found footage's style romp. Does well with a limited set up (2 characters). Well acted and worth a watch, but not brilliant

Watched this at the weekend. Very good, if you like war films

Latest posts

Back