Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched Ready Player One, in 3D on sky the other weekend. Actually quite a good film (and a film that’s actually good in 3D which doesn’t happen often!)

I watched a film called IO (as in the moon of Jupiter) yesterday, because it was too slippery outside to risk my broken proximate humerus.
The film was just a bit odd. Looked very cheap to make, though, so it was on free to view on channel nnn on the freeview box. Result! Killed 2 whole hours of waking time until I get my actual life back.

So after my trip away got cut short I decided to spend a few days at home doing nothing, so I got a few more movies watched.

First up was Bohemian Rhapsody, now I'm not much of a Queen fan tbh but the wife wanted to see this so we gave it a watch. The performances were excellent, the production design was good and the film looked great, but I thought the pacing was off and parts felt very rushed. The first half hour or so especially, we didn't really get a chance to know anything about the characters before they were famous. Plus I reckon the 12 rating held it back a little, it felt a little tame in places where a 15 rating would have allowed a bit more freedom. It was still pretty good though, and there were some great emotional scenes.

Next up was Roma by Alfonso Cuaron who directed one of my favourite movies, Children of Men. This does have a slight air of a typical "Oscar gold" movie and certainly wouldn't be to everyone's taste. It's slow moving, without any real narrative, it's sort of a "year in the life of..." movie, but it is stunningly beautiful to watch, and from a technical perspective some of the shots are breathtaking (particularly the beach scene long-take). I wouldn't be in a hurry to see it again but I'm glad I watched it, although the wife hated it.

Then I watched Triple Frontier (terrible name) which is a Netflix movie which I wasn't too bothered about watching, but Oscar Isaac who is always great is in it so I gave it a chance. It's not exactly an original plot (group of former special forces guys get together for one last job) but it does have a few decent little twists on that old cliché, the action scenes are pretty well done and there are some interesting themes, though they could have been explored a bit deeper. Not a masterpiece by any means but a decent enough Saturday night movie.

Netflix movie The Highwaymen, with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson.
would give it 3/5
if you want a cat and mouse type movie and haven't seen no country for old men, watch that instead of the highwaymen....

My favourite films are Clockwork Orange, Casablanca and African Queen. I loved Shawshank Redemption and No Country for Old Men. The Kill Bill films were well made. Apollo 13 directed by Tom Hanks was very informative about the way NASA came to build such an odd looking lunar lander which I'd wondered about since staying up all night to watch the historic event.

Avatar for its originality and Inception likewise.

Deep Throat... again. A true classic of its genre and one I'll never tire of.
I've never got more than 10 mins into it, I hope it has a happy ending.
Netflix movie The Highwaymen, with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson.
would give it 3/5
if you want a cat and mouse type movie and haven't seen no country for old men, watch that instead of the highwaymen....
Hmm, I was wondering whether to watch it or not. No Country is one of my all time favourites, it'd be hard to top.

I've never got more than 10 mins into it, I hope it has a happy ending.

Hmm, I was wondering whether to watch it or not. No Country is one of my all time favourites, it'd be hard to top.

No Country is a big fav likewise, and as I mention to most who have watched it, did you notice it has no music.. you seen the ballad of buster scruggs? interesting watch.

@SS

What is your favourite film?
That's a tough question, I'm not sure I could pick just one but a few off the top of my head that I really love:
There will be Blood, Inglorious Basterds, Aliens, Snatch, No Country for Old Men, Watchmen, The Big Lebowski, 300, The Matrix, 28 Days Later, Whiplash, Blade Runner 2049. I'm sure I'm forgetting some of my favourites, but if I really had to pick one it'd probably be 28 Days Later, for me it's pretty close to a perfect movie.

No Country is a big fav likewise, and as I mention to most who have watched it, did you notice it has no music.. you seen the ballad of buster scruggs? interesting watch.
Yeah the lack of music really adds to the tension, it's the same in Inglorious Basterds which has some of the best tension building scenes I've ever seen, there's no music in those parts and even the background noise goes quiet which adds to the ominous tone. Masterful movie making, both from Tarantino and the Coens.

I love everything I've seen by the Coen bros, including Buster Scruggs. It was a little up and down but overall a really interesting and unusual movie with some genius moments.

Schindler's List was great. And Godfather II. Apocalypse Now. Midnight Express, Midnight Cowboy, and one I forgot - Dr Strangelove! The sort of film where you feel like punching lamposts as you leave the cinema.

A bit esoteric, but Jacques Tatti's films with Monsieur Hulot. Oh, and remember the wonderful Paint your wagon with Lee Marvin? Cat Callou with Jane Fonda?

I love most Gene Wilder films, especially Blazing Saddles.

Schindler's List
always seemed a bit worthy, like speilberg wanted to prove he could direct an adult film, not just childish nonsense about sharks and sooty from outer space. Always howl at the Seinfeld episode where he makes out at a screening of said film, much to the disgust of his jewish parents ()

Finally got round to watching Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last night. Very good fillum.

Back