Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Steve, I'm glad you watched it, you sum it up perfectly. When I just read your post I got the same goosebumps as when I was watching the film, the effect is still that intense after all this time.I still couldn't put into words the emotions you go through watching it.! ashock1:oops:o_O
Where can I watch this ?

@samale , regards 'kajaki' I came across it late one night and it may have been on bbc2 or film 4 . I knew nothing about what I was sitting down to watch, only that it was a true story and the film had one a BIFA .I think probably the less you know about it the greater the effect of what enfolds, it felt like I was there! Hopefully @strange-steve can advise where he was able to watch, but well worth searching out.

@samale , regards 'kajaki' I came across it late one night and it may have been on bbc2 or film 4 . I knew nothing about what I was sitting down to watch, only that it was a true story and the film had one a BIFA .I think probably the less you know about it the greater the effect of what enfolds, it felt like I was there! Hopefully @strange-steve can advise where he was able to watch, but well worth searching out.
Same here! Just typed "Kajaki" in to YouTube to watch the trailer and as soon as it came up, I remebered straight away without watching the trailer that I watched this film last year without knowing what it was called. When it first started it was just on in the background after flicking through channels, I was only half watching, but then it suddenly got intense... very intense! Gripping stuff!

I watched a few recently, firstly The Revenant which I enjoyed even more the second time round, it's such a beautiful looking movie and Tom Hardy is fantastic in it.

Next was The Box which was fairly incomprehensible and not interesting enough for me to try harder to understand. After the first half hour or so I thought it might be an interesting case study on the morality of the box and how you'd live with making a decision like that. But no, some nonsense about aliens or supernatural beings testing humans to see if they deserve to be destroyed or not.

Then I had something of an Asian movie binge. I started by rewatching Oldboy (that's the original South Korean version, not the silly American remake) which is brilliant, brutal, and eventually horrifying and should be on everyone's watchlist. Then Infernal Affairs which I'd heard good things about, but it didn't really do it for me. A good premise (good cop deep undercover in the Hong Kong triad, corrupt cop working for the triad, each trying to root the other out) but it just didn't grip me.

And then a Japanese movie One Cut of the Dead which has been on my watchlist for a while. Wow this one didn't disappoint. Absolutely loved it! I saw a YouTube review of this ages ago so I knew there was more to it than what it seems, but I'm pleased that I couldn't remember exactly what, because the "twist" is wonderful. Incredibly original, technically brilliant, and just an absolute joy to watch.

I watched a few recently, firstly The Revenant which I enjoyed even more the second time round, it's such a beautiful looking movie and Tom Hardy is fantastic in it.

Next was The Box which was fairly incomprehensible and not interesting enough for me to try harder to understand. After the first half hour or so I thought it might be an interesting case study on the morality of the box and how you'd live with making a decision like that. But no, some nonsense about aliens or supernatural beings testing humans to see if they deserve to be destroyed or not.

Then I had something of an Asian movie binge. I started by rewatching Oldboy (that's the original South Korean version, not the silly American remake) which is brilliant, brutal, and eventually horrifying and should be on everyone's watchlist. Then Infernal Affairs which I'd heard good things about, but it didn't really do it for me. A good premise (good cop deep undercover in the Hong Kong triad, corrupt cop working for the triad, each trying to root the other out) but it just didn't grip me.

And then a Japanese movie One Cut of the Dead which has been on my watchlist for a while. Wow this one didn't disappoint. Absolutely loved it! I saw a YouTube review of this ages ago so I knew there was more to it than what it seems, but I'm pleased that I couldn't remember exactly what, because the "twist" is wonderful. Incredibly original, technically brilliant, and just an absolute joy to watch.
I watched The Revenant again recently too when it was on terestrial. I'd forgotten just how brutal it was. The bear scene!! Great performances from DiCaprio and Tom. Really enjoyed it.

I watched The Revenant again recently too when it was on terestrial. I'd forgotten just how brutal it was. The bear scene!! Great performances from DiCaprio and Tom. Really enjoyed it.
I'm guessing because it was on iplayer? We did too, great film.

Mitchell (riffed by Mystery Science Theatre 3000) is classic.

Has the worst sex scene ever.

Just watched The vanished ,Netflix.
Worth watching with a twist. Ignore the reviews, we quite enjoyed it.

James Clavell’s Shogun.
Think of it as learning the Japanese language in story format.

Watched Upgrade at the weekend on Netflix which is a bit of scfi thriller , really enjoyed it excellent plot and good action scenes

Latest posts

Back