Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched I care a lot on Netflix. Rosamund Pike excels in this sort of sinister role. Really enjoyed this, even though everyone in the film is so totally unlikeable. Peter Dinklage, aka Tyrion Lannister is almost as sociopathic as PIke. You never know who to root for. Well worth a watch.

Just watched I care a lot on Netflix.
I've been avoiding it until I get more input because so many people think it turns into a mess towards the end. I still think I want to see it because of Ros Pike being a complete sheisstein.

I watched The White Tiger -Don't read on if you think you're going to watch it. Someone saying "great twist" is spoiler for me (still hate you, Patrick Klepek). My spoiler is that the 'discovery phase' is great and the setting up of the systems of its Indian society is eye-widening and the main actor Adarsh Gourav is phenominal. I would buy shares. The second half loses tension. Because I'd seen the trailer I'd already written out a potential plot and it didn't pan out in the scary way I imagined. In a way a relief, but because of the tension the trailer built I wanted a little bit more. Still good, and Adarsh has done more acting in this film than loads have done in their entire careers. Please let him fly high.

Last edited:
Under the skin is a film that will live with me. Particularly the scene on the beach.
Yes. I love that scene because it's so representative of the real universe. A million, trillion, zillion, gazilllion molecules and one over infinity minus one of them gives a toss about anything, even the ones that could help.

Last edited:
I've been watching alot of Korean movies lately; I don't know what it is but they just consistently make really great films. If your not too thrown off by subtitles, I highly reccommend The Battleship Island and The Age of Shadows.

Another couple off my watch list this weekend, firstly The Holy Mountain which is one of the maddest films I've ever seen. I won't pretend I understood everything that was happening, and every scene is so rich with symbolism that it'd take a hundred watches to try to catch everything, but I really enjoyed the experience and look forward to watching it again. I think I got some of the commentary on religion, art, capitalism, and I loved the crazy meta ending, but it's something that can be enjoyed as an abstract artistic experience even without fully "getting" it.

Next was something a bit more grounded, Rushmore. I think Wes Anderson is probably a love or hate director but this one is a little less stylised than some of his other movies, though it still has some of the quirkiness, perpendicular shots, and quick pans. I wasn't entirely gripped by the story but it had some funny moments and overall it wasn't bad, and the performances from Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray were brilliant.

Watched "Les Femmes de l'Ombre" on Netflix France (There's an English version) "Female Agents". Amazing film. Don't usually enjoy watching telly, but I can recommend this one. There isn't a boring bit in it.

A few more I watched recently, starting with Amores Perros, a Mexican movie by the director of Birdman and The Revenant. A sort of anthology movie of three connected stories spanning the Mexican class system and it's pretty brilliant, though if you're a dog lover there could be some difficult to watch scenes.

Next was A Star Is Born which was fine. It's well shot, well acted, the lighting was great, but I had a couple of issues with it. I found the editing a little odd in a few places, there was some rather ham-fisted foreshadowing at the start that is so blatent it should come with a spoiler alert, but my biggest problem (which is entirely subjective) was that as much as you're supposed to have some emotional connection with the music I found it incredibly bland, which is a problem for this kind of film so I really wasn't invested. My wife loved it, but what would she know.

Next up was a French Canadian movie called Mommy which I absolutely loved. I loved it so much I watched it twice within a few days. A simple and straightforward story of a mother trying to deal with her 15 year old son who has ADHD, but the movie is incredibly beautiful in every way. The acting is outstanding, particularly from the kid, and without spoiling anything there's an interesting little visual trick employed halfway through the movie which I've never seen used to this effect before and it was both breath-taking and crushing. Amazing film making all round, definitely recommend.

Over the last week I've been indulging my geekier side:
The Snyder cut of Justice League watched over three days, a lot lot better than the previous version but has some cringe worthy dialogue of Batman delivering serious dramatic lines in a voice rattling with gravel, and everyone nodding or looking scared - which just made me laugh they were so ridiculous. However, it has some very different story telling in parts and significant plot differences so I reckon yes it was worth watching.
The Falcon and the Winter Solider, watched only because my two daughters wanted to watch it... hmmm 🤔, has a remarkable air sequence that reminded me of some of the best of top gun - if it was all CGI then that was mind boggling. Plot less so but it was only the first episode, I'm not hooked like I was with Wandavision.
Jupiter Ascending (Amazon Prime) escapist silliness with so many unbelievable moments that suspension of disbelief became really difficult even for comic book like sci fi. It didn't help that the leading male hero person isn't that likeable or yummy, though it is cool to see Eddie Redmayne cast completely against type.

Anna

Last edited:
We watched Barb & Star go to Vista Del Mar last night.

Worst.Movie.I.Have.Ever.Seen

Awful, just awful. It was my wife’s choice and I think she actually hated it more than I did. She has apologised and told me I get to choose all the films from now on.

Watched world war 4 and battle beyond the sun. WW4 was a bit of acting interspersed with lots of military clips standing in as combat footage. BBTS was 50/60s sci fi pap and I gave up on it after North Hemis selfishly got In a pickle for the second time which led to South Hemis picking up the pieces again.

Watching a Korean scifi series called Alice which is good. Watched a film called Titan it was very poor gave up half way through.

Just watched I care a lot on Netflix. Rosamund Pike excels in this sort of sinister role. Really enjoyed this, even though everyone in the film is so totally unlikeable. Peter Dinklage, aka Tyrion Lannister is almost as sociopathic as PIke. You never know who to root for. Well worth a watch.
We watched that a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would - I’d still recommend it though.

Amazon have had quite a few good “originals” films recently - Last weekend we watched How to Build a Girl and Dating Amber. Both very good quirky coming of age type dark/quirky comedies one British one Irish.

Just had Heavy Metal: FAKK 2 on as background for workout and house cleaning.
“I like the hint of lemon...”

A few more for me recently, firstly Boy which is one of Taika Waititi's earlier movies. If you've seen his other movies then you sort of know what to expect which sounds like an insult, but personally I love his style. Reminds me a little of Wes Anderson, not in the film making, but in the quirky, nostalgic, sweet-but-melancholic tone. I liked it more than Jojo Rabbit but not as much as Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Definitely worth a look.

Next was What's Your Number which is one of the most clichéd, by the numbers, uninspired, forgettable films I've ever seen. It's like the "writers" had a checklist of how to write a rom-com and were just ticking off the story beats and plot elements. Girl with something missing in her life? Check. Annoying best friend character to spout exposition? Check. Critical mother character to point out girl's flaws? Check. Girl meets hot guy but they don't get along at first? Check. Contrived reason for them to spend time together where they realise they're perfect for each other? Check. Even more contrived reason for them to briefly fall out? Check. Dramatic realisation followed by romantic declaration? Check. Lazy, do-the-bare-minimum cinematography and directing? Check.

Next was Doctor Strange and I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to watch this, I suppose I wasn't really interested in the character, but I was pleasantly surprised. It could have used a bit more time to introduce the character and to develop the villain, but it was fine. This movie is all about the visuals which are (for the most part) stunning. Overall it was pretty entertaining, but I watched it straight after What's Your Number, which would make anything seem relatively great.

Snyder cut of Justice League
I'm kind of intrigued to watch this to see how much better it is, it certainly couldn't be much worse, but I couldn't find it anywhere?
The Falcon and the Winter Solider, watched only because my two daughters wanted to watch it... hmmm 🤔, has a remarkable air sequence that reminded me of some of the best of top gun - if it was all CGI then that was mind boggling. Plot less so but it was only the first episode, I'm not hooked like I was with Wandavision.
I watched the first episode. I won't be watching any more than that. The 10 year old me would have loved that air chase scene, the 37 year old me found it a bit dull, and it went down hill from there I thought. Disappointing.

I'm kind of intrigued to watch this to see how much better it is, it certainly couldn't be much worse, but I couldn't find it anywhere?

I watched the first episode. I won't be watching any more than that. The 10 year old me would have loved that air chase scene, the 37 year old me found it a bit dull, and it went down hill from there I thought. Disappointing.
The Snyder Cut is available either through HBO max or you can sign up to a free trial with Now TV then cancel within a week with provides HBO max films free. It's likely to be on Prime eventually but at the moment it's an HBO exclusive/Now TV in the UK. (though oddly on iTunes in India!)

I'm not that taken by the Falcon thing either, my 14 yr old daughter thinks it's wonderful though.

Anna

Back