Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if its already been mentioned but I thought Clint Eastwoods ' Gran Torino' was good.I watched it a few years ago. Has anyone watched a film called 'kajaki'?
Its not a hollywood blockbuster but it kept me on the edge of my seat peeping through my fingers with gritted teeth, and its a true story!

I had no idea what it was about, it may have added to the intensity!

Just watched The Accountant. Fist time I’ve seen Ben Affleck in a serious. A good action thriller that kep you guessing and a few surprises.

Nae Pasaran, a doc about the Scottish Rolls Royce workers action in the 70s that grounded most of the Chilean junta's Hawker Hunters. Great film.

A couple more movies I watched recently, first of all A Scanner Darkly. This is an older one, 2006 I believe, and I haven't seen it since it was released, but I forgot just how good this is. I'd imagine it's something of a love it or hate it movie, the comic book visual style might be divisive, as might be the surreal, acid trip storytelling. But an interesting and original movie with Robert Downey Jr being as brilliant (and funny) as ever.

Next, Upgrade which is a recent sci fi movie about a paraplegic who gets a computer chip implant which gives him back full mobility so that he can track down his wife's killers. A fairly typical revenge plot, with elements of Robocop and Ex Machina, but this is absolutely worth watching just for the action scenes. The superhuman fights are great fun to watch (as long as you don't mind a little gratuitous gore) and the stabilised camera work during these scenes is clever and original. The movie looks much better than its low budget would suggest and it's definitely worth a look.

I haven't posted here for a while so as an update here are 10 movies I watched recently with my 1 sentence review of them...

Drive
I loved this movie, it's so effortlessly cool with engaging characters and brilliant, intense action scenes.

Jojo rabbit
Like all of Taika Waititi's movies it's quirky, funny, sentimental, well written and just brilliant overall.

Dark city
An underrated sci-fi gem with interesting and original themes, incredible, creepy, atmospheric set design that's absolutely worth a watch.

The irishman
What can I say except that it's exaxtly as good as you'd expect with this incredible cast and Scorsese directing.

Apollo 11
Not a movie but a brilliant, nerve-wracking, fascinating documentary on the Apollo 11 mission, with no narration, just made up of real footage and dialogue.

Arrival
Another amazing and original movie by Denis Villeneuve who is leading the way in thoughtful and clever sci-fi like this masterpiece.

Knives out
After his swing and miss with The Last Jedi, Rian Johnson clawed back his reputation with this funny and interesting take on the classic whodunit which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Uncut gems
A hectic, fast paced and tense movie but the most amazing thing about this is that it's a good Adam Sandler movie, and not just good but really good.

An honest liar
Another fascinating and well made documentary, this time about the former magician James Randi who spent most of his life exposing faith healers, psychics, mediums and the like as frauds.

Rise of skywalker
An absolute mess of a movie with every scene just shoved full of stuff and noise, and the final nail in the Star Wars coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone else watched anything good (or bad) recently?

Jojo rabbit
Like all of Taika Waititi's movies it's quirky, funny, sentimental, well written and just brilliant overall.

The irishman
What can I say except that it's exaxtly as good as you'd expect with this incredible cast and Scorsese directing.

Apollo 11
Not a movie but a brilliant, nerve-wracking, fascinating documentary on the Apollo 11 mission, with no narration, just made up of real footage and dialogue.

Rise of skywalker
An absolute mess of a movie with every scene just shoved full of stuff and noise, and the final nail in the Star Wars coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone else watched anything good (or bad) recently?
I thought Jojo Rabbit had some good points (Scarlett Johansson's best performance IMHO) but was badly misjudged in a lot of ways. Doing comedy Nazis is very difficult, and I thought Taika Waititi missed the mark here, sadly, especially as I really like his other stuff.

The Irishman was at least half an hour, maybe a full hour too long. Also the de-aging wasn't good enough. When de-aged De Niro was kicking the shopkeeper around it was very clearly an old man, you can't hide that stiffness. That said, I think this was Joe Pesci's greatest performance. It showed how subtle he can be when given the chance.

Apollo 11 was great. Just great, nothing else to add.

Rise of Skywalker was a mess, but not unenjoyable. Pretending the last film didn't exist was stupid. Not mapping out the whole trilogy story before shooting was stupid. The main thing to take away from the new trilogy though is that a lot of Star Wars fans are terrible people.

1917 last night.Enjoyed it a lot. Best experienced on a decent sound system with the volume up.
I really disliked 1917. I've studied WW1 since I did my GCSEs and there was so much that was inaccurate or unrealistic, the main performances were awful (what accent were the leads supposed to have?) and I found the single shot trick more off-putting than technically impressive. I went in really wanting to like it too, which made it all the more disappointing.

Recently watched

The house that jack built, Matt Dillon plays a serial killer in Lars von trier's slow paced episodic story, interesting ending, much prefer earlier movies such as man bites dog....

Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics, Celebrities share their stories about drug use and experiences, light hearted look at psychedelics, entertaining watch.

Black Butterfly, Antonio Banderas & Jonathon Rhys Meyers, Slouch on the couch movie, not very original but solid acting from Antonio & JRM.
Spotted JRM in the background about 30 secs before he made his entrance, but I do have eagle eyes, even spotted a disquised Ewan McGregor in A millions ways to die in the west.

Withnail & I, Simply put Classic....

Not a Movie, but been enjoying Mystic Britain on sky.

I do love a film..but find getting time to watch one scarce..
Last night Mrs Clint left me downstairs In my ramblings and I started watching Terminator 2..which is great if you can stay awake!

I think The survivalist would appeal to a lot of people on here. It's a film that's played on my mind more than any other I can remember.

I watched El Camino - A Breaking Bad Movie the other day.

Loved Breaking Bad, and this felt like a really good final episode. But not really a movie. I felt Jesse should have had a proper ending to the series, and now he's got one.

Breaking bad episode - 9/10
Movie - 6.5/10

I love Film but I think that I enjoy series more these days. Particularly
- Umbrella Academy: A fantastically clever and well acted take on the superhero storyline. Great soundtrack too. Netflix.
To be honest I can list so many great series that I have watched recently, from Vikings, to Pose, to the Mandalorian. It is a shame that the last few films I have watched felt sloppy in both the story and the acting. Star Wars-the final disappointment. 1917. Birds of Prey..... Fortunately there are some supremely great films. Most recently I watched Sicario 1and 2 and really enjoyed both.

Usually I'm more into action/thriller films but The Upside with Kevin Hart & Bryan Cranston is a great film (comedy/drama). It's an Amazon Original so watched on prime..

Back to film's I watched Harry and the Henderson's the other day with my two children. I think I enjoyed it more than them. Other classics we watch are the Goonies, ET.

I know it's not a film but I really enjoyed the last dance. Based on Micheal Jordan Chicago bulls. What an athlete he was.
Bloody amazing series...I was into basketball and American Football around the time so it was great watching it back..so many great players

I haven't watched a really interesting movie in months, even though I put all sorts on Netflix on a night after Mrs nicks has gone to sleep.
But I watched bridge of spies last night - Tom hanks - and thoroughly enjoyed it

Back