Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched "Acts of Violence" with Bruce Willis (minor role when it's all said and done).
It could have been a pretty good movie but it got edited to death. It was almost like a trailer. I watched it. Probably should have been two or three movies.

I just saw Christopher Nolan's new movie Tenet and it's honestly one of the most incomprehensible films I've ever seen. That's not necessarily to say that it's nonsensical, although I suspect it might be, but I flatter myself that I'm not a complete idiot. However there was barely a moment in the film where I knew what was going on or what the characters were trying to do, made worse by the terrible sound mixing which made half the dialogue inaudible.

I got the gist of it but as well as the overly complex plot, the premise is very underdeveloped with some completely arbitrary rules just because "plot" (but hey, it's sci-fi).

That being said there's some really good stuff too, it's a Nolan movie after all. Technically it's amazing, I can't begin to grasp how they filmed the final action scene, in fact all the action scenes are great. Also the stunts are fantastic, and the music is brilliant. I'll give it another watch, but first impressions are that it just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. Or maybe I'm just stupid and it all makes perfect sense 🤷‍♂️

Been giving the coen brothers a rewatch, started with no country for old men, next up was the man who wasn't there & barton fink! barton fink seemed a good choice after the missus had me watching richard e grant's hotel travel show.

I just saw Christopher Nolan's new movie Tenet and it's honestly one of the most incomprehensible films I've ever seen. That's not necessarily to say that it's nonsensical, although I suspect it might be, but I flatter myself that I'm not a complete idiot. However there was barely a moment in the film where I knew what was going on or what the characters were trying to do, made worse by the terrible sound mixing which made half the dialogue inaudible.

I got the gist of it but as well as the overly complex plot, the premise is very underdeveloped with some completely arbitrary rules just because "plot" (but hey, it's sci-fi).

That being said there's some really good stuff too, it's a Nolan movie after all. Technically it's amazing, I can't begin to grasp how they filmed the final action scene, in fact all the action scenes are great. Also the stunts are fantastic, and the music is brilliant. I'll give it another watch, but first impressions are that it just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. Or maybe I'm just stupid and it all makes perfect sense 🤷‍♂️
I went to see Tenet last night and agree with Steve's that it was too complex and 30 minutes too long. Having said that I enjoyed the film and the cast were excellent.

I went to see Tenet last night and agree with Steve's that it was too complex and 30 minutes too long. Having said that I enjoyed the film and the cast were excellent.
OK no real spoilers ahead

I took the children to see it at the weekend too.... and rather loved it athumb.. as did they which was lovely. A bit weird as it was almost a private showing so few people were in the cinema, and the usual roll of the eyes from the children since I insist on making my own popcorn to bring in to the cinema for them all. Good chat on the way home as they all enthused about it and we discussed/debated/argued about the plot. As for complexity oh most definitely and not a film to watch at home with a few beers, it is hard to follow and we all think we'd like to see it again as so much happens so fast. I agree with Steve that the first half hour is bizarre and so hard to follow, things happen with no apparent reason or explanation and characters come and go with no lead in or much explanation. It reminded me of the comments in Inception about finding yourself in a dream and not questioning how you got there. The sound mix doesn't help as the dialogue is sometime really hard to make out in that first part so if you go to see it and struggle to make sense of the audio and scenes - it's not just you!

That is though a bit negative, the middle part of the film is much better and develops a bit of character, gives time to draw breath and makes more sense. The latter part including the battle scene is bonkers, proper messy timey wimey stuff that gets almost no explanation. I was almost expecting a 'reverse the polarity of the neutron flow' type nonsensical exposition but instead you get a brief bit of dismissive explanation where a character gets told off for 'thinking in linear time'. There's a good set of Nolan twists at the end, and we did enjoy it. Not in my view as good as inception though.

Anna

Well I've had a few days now to contemplate Tenet, and my initial reaction may have been a little dismissive. There was a lot to like about it, and a couple of shots/scenes were really jaw-dropping (the building being blown up forward and in reverse at the same time at the end for example). I stand by my earlier comment that it's far too incomprehensible, but maybe with a couple of watches it might become more accessible like some of his previous movies, Inception, Memento, even The Prestige (which are nowhere near as complex), which all benefited from multiple viewings.

That being said I don't really enjoy finishing a movie not having understood the plot. With a more metaphorical movie I don't mind, because you can usually interpret some meaning from it, whether it's what was intended or not, and that's often the point, subjective interpretation (check out The Lighthouse for example). But when the movie is all about the narrative then it gets frustrating if it's difficult to follow, especially if you're not entirely gripped by it. At least for me anyway, I'm sure the Internet will have a field day dissecting the plot of this with excruciating detail for years to come.

Been giving the coen brothers a rewatch, started with no country for old men, next up was the man who wasn't there & barton fink! barton fink seemed a good choice after the missus had me watching richard e grant's hotel travel show.
It's been many years since I've seen both Barton Fink and The Man who Wasn't There. Definitely added to my watch list thumb.
Also if you haven't yet seen Miller's Crossing check it out, great movie.

Currently watching In The Heart Of The Sea. Good film so far🐳
Finished watching, well made film and worth a viewing. not the sort of film the Mrs would watch so as she is out I thought I would give it a go.

Last edited:
Get duked on amazon prime.

Perfect if you want a real good laugh and something not complicated to follow.

It's about 4 young boys who go off on a Duke of Edinburgh award trip. And they think the Duke is trying to shoot them. He's not it's Eddie izzard playing a posh foxhunter type who hates the youth of today. Good fun

Watched "Knives Out" on Prime at the weekend. Pretty decent who-done-it type movie that I feel borrows stylistically from the Cohen brothers and, to a lesser extent, Wes Anderson movies.

Very good cast and some great characters. The female lead - Ana de Armas - who I had never seen/heard of before was fantastic. Daniel Craig plays a famous Private Detective who talks with a Southern droll - kind of like he's impersonating Kevin Spacey from House of Cards. Craig is OK in it but I cant help but feel he wasn't particularly well suited to the role - possibly because in my head he's been type-cast as Bond forever.

Well worth a watch.

Watched "Knives Out" on Prime at the weekend. Pretty decent who-done-it type movie that I feel borrows stylistically from the Cohen brothers and, to a lesser extent, Wes Anderson movies.

Very good cast and some great characters. The female lead - Ana de Armas - who I had never seen/heard of before was fantastic. Daniel Craig plays a famous Private Detective who talks with a Southern droll - kind of like he's impersonating Kevin Spacey from House of Cards. Craig is OK in it but I cant help but feel he wasn't particularly well suited to the role - possibly because in my head he's been type-cast as Bond forever.

Well worth a watch.
Lol I thought that was his best role so far! He was fantastic with that accent. He’s so serious as James Bond.

Well worth a watch.
I watched Knives Out the other night too, and enjoyed it - as you say the cast was great and there was a good balance of humour and intrigue. I'm with you though, I thought Craig was poorly cast.

A film I've really enjoyed recently was Green Book. It's the story of a black pianist and his white driver touring the South West of America in the sixties. A beautifully told story of how they confronted racism head-on, and I thought that Viggo Mortensen was brilliant in the role of the Italian-American driver.

Latest posts

Back