Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
watched the Social Dilemma last night, quite depressed now, and I have done away with most of those things, other than here of course. Kids are going to have a very different experience than most of us here had.

Movies, hmm, we used to call them films in my day :laugh8: Good films seem to be in short supply these days, I dislike the over use of CGI nowadays except where something can't be done better in real life.

Netflix I have run out of the few good films they seem to have, films like The Revenant which I could watch over and over and have taken to watching more TV drama series, although I did watch 13 hours in Benghazi last night, a very American patriotic shoot up, not great but watchable.

Series I have recently seen are:

House of cards: Yes really enjoyed that.
Sons of Anarchy: Avoided this for years, but watched in the end and it passed the evening for quite some time
Fargo: Enjoyed
Ozark: Enjoyable
Derepages (Inhuman Resources) just half way through the 6 episodes of a great little original drama with Eric Cantona

Series I have recently seen are:

House of cards: Yes really enjoyed that.
Sons of Anarchy: Avoided this for years, but watched in the end and it passed the evening for quite some time
Fargo: Enjoyed
Ozark: Enjoyable
Derepages (Inhuman Resources) just half way through the 6 episodes of a great little original drama with Eric Cantona
I'm sure I've mentioned it before but if you're not averse to a little horrific violence then have a look at The Boys on amazon. Really good and has one of the most genuinely scary bad guys I've seen.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but if you're not averse to a little horrific violence then have a look at The Boys on amazon. Really good and has one of the most genuinely scary bad guys I've seen.
I'm not averse to violence if it's not pointless, I mean I can watch reservoir Dog type stuff, but I don't like gory violence for the sake of it, stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre et al has no appeal

Loving 'The Boys' full throttle from the first episode.
I still expect Butcher to drop into Judge Dread mode though aheadbutt

Watched Jojo Rabbit last week.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reckon I'll make a start on The Boys soon. Have heard good things.

stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre et al has no appeal
TCM is actually remarkably non-gory - the gore is mainly implied rather than explicit. It's just filmed / edited well enough that you're left with the impression you've seen something you haven't. Very nasty for sure though!

Not a movie (or a film!) this week I finished 'The Umbrella Academy' which I really really enjoyed 🤩, it's oddball to the extent of being really quite psychedelic at times, but is wonderfully internally consistent, and has proper character development over time. There were moments I cringed and could hardly watch, and others I was edge of my seat as to what was going to happen next.
There is perhaps a bit of sympathy for watching a wonderfully dysfunctional family too. My youngest daughter recommended it and is now miffed because I'm further ahead in watching it that she is now 🥳.
If you like the sound of off the wall superhero stuff without them being particularly super and without violence - if you discount several ways of destroying all life on earth - then it's a definite recommendation.

Anna

EDIT - ah the without violence is discounting a particularly notable series 2 episode with an axe and a fish

Haven't watched many films recently as I started watching 'Sons Of Anarchy' with the Mrs...both addicted so no time for films. On season 4 so should be finished in a couple of weeks
I really enjoyed this. But i wouldnt watch it again..... some of the brutality was to much. Really shocked me and affected my sleep! Gave me nightmares.

There’s one of our favourite films getting a rare airing on Talking Pictures on Thursday, probably because of Diana Rigg’s sad death. ‘The Assassination Bureau’ stars her, Oliver Reed, Curd Jurgens, Telly Savalas, Beryl Reid and Warren Mitchell, and is an absolute hoot. Thoroughly recommended.

Just watched The Gentleman(new guy Ritchie film). Now since lock stock and snatch I have been pretty disappointed with his efforts. This on the other hand was great. Hugh Grant was funny, and best of all ( as I have been addicted to Sons of Anarchy) Jax Teller in a Guy Ritchie film... hilarious 🤣in a good way👍

Just watched The Gentleman(new guy Ritchie film). Now since lock stock and snatch I have been pretty disappointed with his efforts. This on the other hand was great. Hugh Grant was funny, and best of all ( as I have been addicted to Sons of Anarchy) Jax Teller in a Guy Ritchie film... hilarious 🤣in a good way👍

Charlie Hunnam

Back