Which Musical Instruments Do You Play?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As another lockdown approaches and winter is nearly here, many of you will be looking to entertain yourself with stuff indoors other than brewing and wine and cider making, and watching mind numbing carp on TV.
So although we have a very focussed thread on the Forum about guitars I wondered what other musical instruments our forum members play. Perhaps some of our Scottish members are proficient with the bagpipes, and surely someone has ukulele in a cupboard? And I'll bet there's a drummer out there too, with an electric drum kit and headphones or an old Premier kit. How many have been stopped gigging over the last few months? How many of you musicians read music?
For my part I play saxophone, having picked up my old tenor last year which had had seen little use in years and I'm smitten again. So much so I replaced it with a new Yamaha 480 tenor this year, which for me is a dream to play, although I'm sure I'll never play to its full potential. I also have an ebay sourced alto which I bought last year to try out and which I play occasionally but it's the tenor that ticks the boxes for me.
I have brushed up my basic (self taught) reading skills and can now hold my own on many of the play-alongs on Youtube, of which there are numerous, which is how I have got back into playing. I would love to play with others but that's not really going to happen in the near future or perhaps even longer term. I might not be a Michael Brecker or Sonny Stitt but I really enjoy playing.
So who plays what out there?

As well as playing a bit of guitar I've got one of these - played keyboard since I was a kid.

MOXF6-large.jpg.auto.webp

Various bagpipes - I do have a set of Highland pipes but I only ever play them for Burns night. Mostly Pibau Cyrn (Welsh), Cornemuse (French) and Sackpippa (Swedish).
Also play mountain dulcimer and accordion reasonably proficiently and I'm currently learning ukulele.

As well as guitar and bass as posted in the Show Me Your Guitar thread, I do have a ukulele in my cupboard. It's actually a banjolele to be precise. I used to have a sitar but it broke and that was amazing to play. The concept is so different to guitar playing (and western music in general) a lot of learning it was getting my head around the concept.

I did have a mandolin but lost it. It wasn't very good and went out of tune every 3 minutes. And of course I've been through that harmonica phase.

Drums, though I haven't really played in about five years. I toured Japan in the band I played in when I lived over there, good times they were!

Nothing. I love music but I’m tone deaf with no rhythm

played the euphonium and trumpet in my early years then discovered rock n roll (and various other things :beer1:included).
can play bass, mandolin and guitar but have only really been playing guitar the last few years. seem to have lost my mojo for that of late but hope that'll get sparked again.
i need to sell a couple of six strings and various effects.

Trombone is my main instrument, also play bass guitar, and a bit of 6-string guitar and piano. I've been learning so much about multi-track recording these past 7 months too and that's been so much fun. I recently bought a banjo ukulele and my husband started to learn it too (he's never done anything musical in his life) and he's been doing brilliantly. He's been doing so well that we bought a second one so we can play together.

You can probably guess what I play from my handle. Bad news is that during the current "situation" I've been having teeth problems which have cramped my style somewhat. Still, at least I haven't missed much group playing, amateur music-making has been decimated of late. Hopefully by the time my teeth are fixed we'll be back playing again.

Trombone is my main instrument, also play bass guitar, and a bit of 6-string guitar and piano. I've been learning so much about multi-track recording these past 7 months too and that's been so much fun. I recently bought a banjo ukulele and my husband started to learn it too (he's never done anything musical in his life) and he's been doing brilliantly. He's been doing so well that we bought a second one so we can play together.
What have you been using to record? I've been using Reaper and after an initial steep curve I am putting tracks down now - this was my first successful test recently

Not had chance to do any more, work hasn't allowed it yet

Just Garage Band, which works quite well. Not totally perfect for mixing though. Need to upgrade my 7 year old mac though before I can get Ableton Live working well.

I did play the violin for a while, started with a cheapo one from Amazon and followed youtube tutorials, after a year or so I upgraded to a half decent violin and could play reasonably well (pretty much just classical pieces) but I haven't touched it in ages. Just can't seem to find the time :(

Latest posts

Back