Which pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm out of cupboard space , bottles bottles bottles. So z wanting the next storage options....

Which pressure barrel do you all recommended... Personally, looking at simple Wilko one.

Any remarks welcome
I see you have been predictably inundated with replies telling you that only kegs are any good. I use kegs but before I had a couple of Wilko barrels which were fine - they are as well made as the King Keg ones and half the price. They can be improved - the only thing to watch out for is that the tap opening in the barrel is threaded to take the tap (rather than a smooth hole with a back nut which the King Keg has). The Wilko barrels are a good cheap way into bulk dispense and would help you move to this without spending a lot of money to begin with.

I'm out of cupboard space , bottles bottles bottles. So z wanting the next storage options....

Which pressure barrel do you all recommended... Personally, looking at simple Wilko one.

Any remarks welcome
I gave up with plastic pressure barrels if that's what you mean, the 2 gallon ones are weaker at the bottom and go egg shaped under pressure and I don't over prime I can assure you. They are a devil to properly clean as 2" cap, and these new black caps have a tendency to split. The 5 gallon ones are too heavy IMHO.
I have 40 glass bottles of the swing top variety, a bottle washer , a bottle tree, a bottle wand, and I use carbonation drops. I will never go back to pressure barrels, just too much trouble.

005.JPG

Have mine fitted with the Ultra twist tap. There is the bladder version too just need a bicycle pump to serve.
Or if you really want to do it on the cheap. The cube with gravity serve.

001.JPG 002.JPG

Only corny kegs. I had a plastic pressure barrel from Wilko which exploded and had a big mess in my garage. Rubbish! Kegs are wonderful, stainless steel, and you do not have your beer a long term contact with plastic. They work great.

The biggest problem I had with plastic pressure barrels was infections and beer going off. I had 3. I cleaned, sanitised and bleached the bejesus out of them, tried for many years to get rid of it but just couldn't. I'd brew a batch and put half in the keg and half in the bottles, bottled batch would be fine but keg would always go off after a few weeks, under CO2 pressure. Tried for years to find the problem including multiple posts on this forum but never fixed it, hence my comment above. Add to this the numerous seal / pressure problems and I just lost the will to live with them.

I'm glad some are using them successfully but they just didn't work for me.

I used my old Boots barrels successfully for many years but have switched to kegging as it's just far simpler and more efficient.
Many modern barrels just seem poorly made and need constant fettling which seems to be beyond all but the most dedicated.
You can pick up a grade 1 condition used corny for not much more than a new king keg and it'll save you a lot of hassle.

Only corny kegs. I had a plastic pressure barrel from Wilko which exploded and had a big mess in my garage. Rubbish! Kegs are wonderful, stainless steel, and you do not have your beer a long term contact with plastic. They work great.

I'd suggest there was an issue with that, the rubber valve should blow off way before there is a risk of the barrel failing.

I have had cornies for years but they are more expensive these days plus you need a CO2 bottle.

Latest posts

Back