which single hop to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am no expert on homebrewing and dont claim to be and am very happy just going along making my extract brew kits and getting them into my cornies.
I have however started adding hops which I do by just adding to my corny in a muslin bag and leave them there till the beer is finished.... I have done this in 4 batches now and must say I have enjoyed each. The addition of the hops gives it a much better taste and i am very happy with it.
The hop I have used so far is Citra...I do love this hops citrusy taste but feel like i'd like to try something different so i get to know other hops. I also know u can combine and blend several hops but feel as if id like to just stick to a single hop at the moment.
Therefore cam anyone recommend any i should try with maybe a short description of the taste etc..tyvm

Just got a bag of Idaho 7 hops, based on recommendations on this forum, and can't wait to try them when we get back from hols. Galaxy are a great hop as is Simcoe. I also think Centennial is massively underated. More on this later as I've just started the maddest of experiment with a vacuum sealed pack of Centennial, about ten years old and because of various moves, spent several years in uninsulated lofts and garages.

First Gold and Brewers Gold are also great hops, but quite different in character to the Citra.

You sound like a drug addict, 'Just scored me a bag of idaho,man!' :laugh8:
That would be Leb, man.
It's a good idea of yours, though. Perhaps we should experiment a little wider in the hops' family. Could have some interesting results. Already tried a bottle called "Weed". Not bad but not stunning either.
What the hell are Hackberries?

Cannabaceae is a small family of flowering plants. As now circumscribed, the family includes about 170 species grouped in about 11 genera, including Cannabis (hemp, marijuana), Humulus (hops) and Celtis (hackberries). Celtis is by far the largest genus, containing about 100 species.

That would be Leb, man.
It's a good idea of yours, though. Perhaps we should experiment a little wider in the hops' family. Could have some interesting results. Already tried a bottle called "Weed". Not bad but not stunning either.

Cannabaceae is a small family of flowering plants. As now circumscribed, the family includes about 170 species grouped in about 11 genera, including Cannabis (hemp, marijuana), Humulus (hops) and Celtis (hackberries). Celtis is by far the largest genus, containing about 100 species.

I think you know far too much about this subject, than is good for you :laugh8:

Why not try good old Cascade - you can use either US or UK version, both should give Floral, Spicy , Grapefruit aroma. This was my first hop I have used in IPA.

My fave is Mosaic. It's not easy to describe having a bit of citrus but a little tropical and quite sweet too.

Have a look in M&S. They have a number of single hop ales which are very nice and give you a good idea of each hop type.

<everyone insert name of your favourite hop here> :laugh8:

Have a look for the Basic Brewing Radio podcast - they've done a number of "Hop Sampler" episodes where they blind taste 3 beers, each made with different hops. I just listened to the twelfth one the other day actually.

You might find this gives you some inspiration..... Certainly it inspired me to pump up my IPA with a boatload of Amarillo, I also made a single hop beer with El Dorado and after the last episode I want to try Azacca and Jarrylo.

That would be Leb, man.

The closest similarity these two plants share, (Cannabis and Hops) is they excite the sense of smell, one is soluble in water the other is not. I have never heard of hackberries, though I have heard of wild or opium lettuce which the red Indians used to smoke to visit their ancestors.
A single hop choice would be dependent on the tipple most enjoyed, I do enjoy Simcoe as a single hop, in American inspired SMASH beers.

Is it now? I'd always thought of it as purely a bittering hop with EKG for late additions. Are you saying Challenger works well as a late hop, too?
Hi AA I too have used Challenger and Target another so called bittering hop as the main flavour/aroma hops with good success. If you also read the Brew your own British Ale Book the recipes are quite old style and show some of these hops being used as late additions. Give them a try you may be surprised

Is it now? I'd always thought of it as purely a bittering hop with EKG for late additions. Are you saying Challenger works well as a late hop, too?
Hi An, I have a witbier in the fv at the mo with 30g of ekg for bittering and orange and lemon zest and coriander for flavour, challenger is a very underrated hop try a bitter with target for bittering and challenger late on

Latest posts

Back