Which wine finings work best

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
The Vinclear from Harris doesn't seem to work. I have used it on two wines. Previously I was using Kwik-Clear which worked well. Kwik-Clear is a two-part kit. Vinclear has only one bottle.

My wife refuses to drink cloudy wine.

Last edited:
Normally I use bentonite, but when it doesn’t work I use Kwik Clear. It was particularly effective with my Christmas pudding wine which I did not think would clear at all.

Would you do a swop with my elderberry port? I have some small bottles specially for posting.

The Vinclear from Harris doesn't seem to work. I have used it on two wines. Previously I was using Kwik-Clear which worked well. Kwik-Clear is a two-part kit. Vinclear has only one bottle.

I found KwiK Clear to be the best and fastest and it has a long shelf life.

Youngs Clear It is similar to KC but has a much shorter shelf life (i think its a month once opened)

I have used several others over the years but always went back to KwiK Clear.

I use the 2 part finnigs (kieselsol and Chitosan) and they have always worked for me. I bought a litre of both as it works out cheaper than getting the branded ones.

I use the 2 part finnigs (kieselsol and Chitosan) and they have always worked for me. I bought a litre of both as it works out cheaper than getting the branded ones.
Thanks, I wonder why two-part findings work? Kwik Clear is probably kieselsol and Chitosan too. Where do you buy them and what dosage do you use?

Kwik Clear is probably kieselsol and Chitosan too.

kieselsol and gelatin.

Kwik Clear Wine and beer finings. Use 2ml of each solution per 4.5 litres (1 gallon) of wine or beer. Two part Kwik Clear wine or beer finings are made from kieselsol and gelatin. These two ingredients have a positive and negatvely charged action, when used in succession they can reduce astringency and clear solids from your wine or beer. Add part A (kieselsol) and stir well, and leave for 30 minutes, then add part B (gelatin) and stir more gently - this adheres to the kieselsol. Leave for 72 hours and the finings should have cleared the wine or beer and settled as trub at the bottom of the fermenter. Rack your clear wine or beer into a clean vessel and procede to bottle.

Thanks, I wonder why two-part findings work? Kwik Clear is probably kieselsol and Chitosan too. Where do you buy them and what dosage do you use?

It's the same company that do the grape powder. I decant into 50ml squeeze plastic bottles to reduce opening the larger containers and keep both in the fridge to prolong shelf life

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kieselso...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
The dosage is on the bottle but from memory it's 15ml of one to 10ml of the other for 25l

Its all to do with the electrical charge of what ever is causing the haze,Hence different hazes respond to the different finings.
If one fining is not effective there is every chance another one will work.

The two part finings are however very effective on the vast bulk of wine hazes.

There are however some very difficult hazes such as pectin and iron or copper haze which don't respond to finings the cure for these is pectolase and various chemical treatments.Such as citric acid.
The latter hazes often come from using metal implements when making the must.
Plastic or sanitized wood utensils will avoid these sorts of problems.
Metal pans unless high grade stainless or coated with non-stick Teflon should also be avoided.
Even poor plumbing in some houses can be the cause of the haze,Requiring the use of bottled water to avoid problems.

Pectin haze can be detected by adding meths to a small sample of the wine,If strings form in the sample the presence of pectin is indicated.

Unfortunately hazes in wine is a big,big subject.:?:

I have Kwik Clear on order, I'll see if that works. Brasso contains meths and adds a welcome kick to cheap booze.

Back