Which yeast for a kit lager?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Rubble

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have read many threads regarding the yeast subject on this forum about ale yeast being supplied with standard lager kits such as Cooper's Australian, European, 86 day pilsner, etc., Geordie Lager, MYO Lager and all the other single can lager kits that are on the market, and they mostly tend to come out as more of a light golden ale than a lager. I recently brewed the Wilko Cerveza kit and it has come out okay with a slightly bitter taste and is darker in colour than lager, but still very drinkable.
Now my dilemma is this, during August, we have some birthdays to celebrate and most of my friends and relatives are lager drinkers with the exception of 2 cider drinkers (they will be catered for with a planned strawberry and lime turbo cider). A few of these lager drinkers have tried my Wilko Cerveza and say that it is okay but not a lager, and they are correct of course.
I have acquired a Cooper's Australian Lager kit and my intention was to enhance the brew with a light DME combined with a Muntons Beer enhancer, and add some Saaz hops towards the end of the fermentation, again to enhance the flavour, but I am concerned that the ale type yeast that will be supplied will prevent it turning out as a lager.
So basically what I am asking for is any advice on which yeast to use? I am still a novice at the brewing game and I don't yet fully understand the intricacies of yeasts and how they make subtle or even major changes to a brew. I have learned though that lager yeasts ferment at a lower temperature than a bitter beer.
Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First, true lagers are fermented using bottom fermenting yeasts at about 12-13*C, and are then lagered or conditioned at low temperature for many weeks or months. Some homebrewers lager in bulk, some in bottle.
You are correct in saying that kit lagers tend to come with a top fermenting ale yeast. But that is not always the case, Coopers Euro lager and the 86Day Pilsner come with a lager yeast, whereas their Aussie lager doesn't.
So for a kit lager brewed with an ale yeast at 18-20*C or more in summer then conditioned in a hot shed for a couple of weeks you stand no chance of coming close to a 'proper' lager.
Therefore for a kit brewer who wants to brew a lager resembling something like the real stuff, you really need to ferment at low temperature perhaps using a brew fridge using adequate lager yeast or do the same in winter. Then condition for several weeks at low temperature.
Or brew a pseudo lager using something like Notty at say 15*C , or perhaps a Kolsch yeast also at about the same temperature.
Finally kit lagers are really the poor relation of kit beers in my view, especially the cheap ones, and you are better off brewing other beer types from a much wider range . How about, for example, a Youngs AIPA to impress your friends?

First, true lagers are fermented using bottom fermenting yeasts at about 12-13*C, and are then lagered or conditioned at low temperature for many weeks or months. Some homebrewers lager in bulk, some in bottle.
You are correct in saying that kit lagers tend to come with a top fermenting ale yeast. But that is not always the case, Coopers Euro lager and the 86Day Pilsner come with a lager yeast, whereas their Aussie lager doesn't.
So for a kit lager brewed with an ale yeast at 18-20*C or more in summer then conditioned in a hot shed for a couple of weeks you stand no chance of coming close to a 'proper' lager.
Therefore for a kit brewer who wants to brew a lager resembling something like the real stuff, you really need to ferment at low temperature perhaps using a brew fridge using adequate lager yeast or do the same in winter. Then condition for several weeks at low temperature.
Or brew a pseudo lager using something like Notty at say 15*C , or perhaps a Kolsch yeast also at about the same temperature.
Finally kit lagers are really the poor relation of kit beers in my view, especially the cheap ones, and you are better off brewing other beer types from a much wider range . How about, for example, a Youngs AIPA to impress your friends?

Interesting post Terry and I never knew this about lager yeast etc.
Being a returning novice to brewing, I've rushed in to brewing an old Wilko lager kit using new mangrove jacks lager yeast M76 from my lhbs.

If I had known I would of waited for cooler weather, and maybe not added so much boiling water as the kit instructions stated,
or waited longer to cool before pitching yeast.

I don't hold out much hope for this one and I may put it in a PB with co2 injection rather than waste time bottling.

Anyway, having had a good read on here last night (where a lot of your knowledgeable advice pops up) I've decided I'm going to stick with what I know better, (wine kits) from now on.
And newly discovered turbo cider.

The Young's AIPA is one for me to consider in the future though.
Cheers 🍻 👍

Back