Which yeast for free-fermented kit stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamaman

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

Just bottled my pink grapefruit saison so my FV is free for a new brew. No time to do a full brew schedule so going to do a Coopers Stout kit and play around with it.

I only have room for a 15L temp-controlled ferment so normally split the can and do two brews one after another. But this time I thought I might do 12L temp controlled and 2x 4L (in Tesco Asheck bottles) free fermented.

But not sure what yeast to use. In my fridge I have;
MJ M47 Abbey
MJ M32 tripel
MJ M42 strong new world
MJ M31 French saison
Plus the coopers yeast (the 12l wont need all the sachet), the recovered saison yeast (belle saison) and some fullers recovered from a bottle, but that might need further stepping up first.

The cupboard I brew in is about 22-24C.

What do you reckon? I’ve not used any of the MJ yeasts before, but the specs sheets suggest M47 or M31 might be best.

Hmm, just checked Coopers website and they reckon their yeast is good to 27C.
Maybe I should just use the kit yeast and do a comparison between 20C and free ferment.

Probably just wasted your time! Sorry folks :)

Having wasted your time earlier, here's a unrequested update!

Returned from holiday to find the artisan fermenter (Ashbeck bottle, but that sounds less fancy) caked in sticky goo and the airlock someway from the water bott... I mean, artisan fermenter.
Clearly the high temps in the cupboard, combined with frisky Cooper's yeast, made everything go a bit like an Ibiza foam party.
Took a gravity reading and it was 1.030! Clearly the yeast got so excited it jumped out of the fermenter, like a suicidal goldfish. So, after giving everything a 'thorough' clean (i.e. cursory wipe with a couple of baby wipes and a spray of Starsan) I gave it a bit of dextrose, a bit of a swirl, and then thought 'sod' it' and chucked in the saison yeast cake from the other artisan fermenter.
3 days later it's down to 1.020 so clearly the hard-working European is picking up the slack from the lazy/out-of-office Aussie (not unlike some offices I've worked in...)

Taste test (straight from the trial jar - I'm classy, me) didn't reveal any horrific flavours so it appears drinkable so far. But the moral of this boring tale is 25% headspace isn't enough for Coopers' yeast at 25C+.

Back