Which yeast to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanMSE

Reaction score
I'm going to make a batch of turbo cider using 4 litres of apple juice later and 2 litres of apple and mango juice (seems interesting, could be awful)

My only issue is that I don't have any cider yeast and I can't find any near me (and I can't be bothered to order any online right now)
So my two choices are.. a generic ale yeast that I have (mainly for emergencies to start up a stalled fermentation) and some high alcohol dessert wine yeast.

I want the cider to remain quite sweet (but I don't want to backsweeten) so I'm thinking the dessert wine yeast might be the better option as dessert wines are generally sweet.

Thoughts?

Your high alc yeast = apple wine (I have some on the go) and the calcs needed for sugar to get to that alc + leave some sweetness. Alternatives might be artificial or natural sweeteners to keep the ABV down (if that's what you want). Or you kill the ferment before it does so naturally. Stevia wine anyone?
I have no idea about your ale yeast (or much idea about anything really).

I'm going to make a batch of turbo cider using 4 litres of apple juice later and 2 litres of apple and mango juice (seems interesting, could be awful)

My only issue is that I don't have any cider yeast and I can't find any near me (and I can't be bothered to order any online right now)
So my two choices are.. a generic ale yeast that I have (mainly for emergencies to start up a stalled fermentation) and some high alcohol dessert wine yeast.

I want the cider to remain quite sweet (but I don't want to backsweeten) so I'm thinking the dessert wine yeast might be the better option as dessert wines are generally sweet.

Thoughts?
Err. Cant be bothered!!
Why not wait a day or two and order the right cider yeast. Whats two or three days in the overall cycle. Crossmyloof will sell you some cider yeast. If you order today (now) it is likely to arrive by Saturday

Err. Cant be bothered!!
Why not wait a day or two and order the right cider yeast. Whats two or three days in the overall cycle. Crossmyloof will sell you some cider yeast. If you order today (now) it is likely to arrive by Saturday
Well, the other part of "can't be bothered" is that I live in the back of beyond and most homebrew stores charge their flat rate £8 shipping regardless of how small the order is (e.g it could just be stuck in an envelope) and I totally forgot about CML and that they do free shipping. So, I went and bought some cider yeast from there.

Thanks!

Ive used 3g of wilko ale yeast in my TC.
See how it goes. Its day 7 of fermentation.
I understand wine yeast would make it too dry and i cba to wait for a mail order delivery. 😊

Latest posts

Back