Which yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillonstewart

Reaction score
Apologies if this is such asked question. You may be aware of the huge difficulty I'm having getting anything to ferment out.

I was looking on eBay for a different wine yeast. I saw one description for the Young's dried active yeast that I've been using and it said that's it's only really suitable for beer or low alcohol wines (would be nice if of was written on the packaging!)

Unfortunately,most yeasts descriptions don't say what abv the yeast is suited to. At best you get "medium alcohol content" or suchlike.

Can anyone suggest a wine yeat that will happily keep fermenting 12-15% in probably slightly less than optimal temperature conditions.

Thanks

Apologies if this is such asked question. You may be aware of the huge difficulty I'm having getting anything to ferment out.

I was looking on eBay for a different wine yeast. I saw one description for the Young's dried active yeast that I've been using and it said that's it's only really suitable for beer or low alcohol wines (would be nice if of was written on the packaging!)

Unfortunately,most yeasts descriptions don't say what abv the yeast is suited to. At best you get "medium alcohol content" or suchlike.

Can anyone suggest a wine yeat that will happily keep fermenting 12-15% in probably slightly less than optimal temperature conditions.

Thanks
An decent general purpose wine yeast should do the job. Perhaps more important is that the yeast has sufficient nutrient. If in doubt go for champagne yeast.

Just looking for some advice. Which I believe is one of the main reasons for this site. A good few weeks ago I set about doing a Continental lager kit can’t remember who’s but decided to bolster it up we we bit so added a brew enhancer along with a bit of brewing sugar. Unfortunately whilst putting in the FV along with the tin wort the hole packet fell in. It fermented great for a couple of weeks and the bubbles stopped. I kedged try he larger racked it for around 3weeks and have recently taken a sip or two. Although it’s has good mouthfeel and larger taste at first. My god it’s sweet. My thoughts are to set it away again in the FV but what yeast should I be using. I understand that I’ll have to pitch the yeast probably with a little warm water.
Any suggestions peps.

Just looking for some advice. Which I believe is one of the main reasons for this site. A good few weeks ago I set about doing a Continental lager kit can’t remember who’s but decided to bolster it up we we bit so added a brew enhancer along with a bit of brewing sugar. Unfortunately whilst putting in the FV along with the tin wort the hole packet fell in. It fermented great for a couple of weeks and the bubbles stopped. I kedged try he larger racked it for around 3weeks and have recently taken a sip or two. Although it’s has good mouthfeel and larger taste at first. My god it’s sweet. My thoughts are to set it away again in the FV but what yeast should I be using. I understand that I’ll have to pitch the yeast probably with a little warm water.
Any suggestions peps.
You're in the wine & cider forum, but...

You might want to give US-05 or M44 a try. These are not lager yeasts but they have some of the highest attenuation of any dry beer yeast, and with the fermentation half started by a true lager yeast, they probably won't generate very much esters in your lager. Or to avoid esters you could try Diamond or M76.

Last edited:
You're in the wind & cider forum, but...

You might want to give US-05 or M44 a try. These are not lager yeasts but they have some of the highest attenuation of any dry beer yeast, and with the fermentation half started by a true lager yeast, they probably won't generate very much esters in your lager. Or to avoid esters you could try Diamond or M76.
Many thanks. Sorry about the forum mistake all I was looking for was yeast info as you can appreciate. I thought that an American west coast ale yeast might do the trick although I’ll have to de carbonate the beer first that I hope shouldn’t be an issue

Back