Whirlpool nightmare.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

bantu1957

Reaction score
Hi, I've got Brewzilla 3.1.1. Done many batches, but never used whirlpool technique. I decided to try. Why not? I am a bit obsessed about beer clarity. So I left my hopspider and added 1/2 oz. hops directly to boiler for 60 minutes bittering boil. After 15 minutes wort began to bubble like crazy and I was sure, that the false bottom was totally stuck by hops, this stopped a normal vapor to escape and left a bit more wort in the kettle after 60 minutes, what affected my OG which was some points less than expected. Next, cooled my wort a bit to 80 degrees C. Added hops, and than made a 20 minutes
whirlpool using whirlpool arm. What a surprise, my wort was hazy like a hell and went like this to the fermenter. My question, what is a sense of doing whirpool instead of using hopspider, when all my batches were nice and clear? Pump was stucked as well, so a total disaster.

St00

Vogon Poet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't hazard a guess without knowing how you were whirlpooling, but I know that when I first started I didn't leave it long enough for everything to settle out into the cone. I whirlpool for 15 minutes and then leave it 30 minutes to settle before chilling and transferring.

bantu1957

Reaction score
There was a cone after transfering a wort. But it was like a mountain surrounded by the valley all over stucked false bottom. Something like a cow poo. I did a whirpool for 20 minutes and then let it rest for another 20.

Latest posts