Whirlpool questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't presently whirlpool at all, but think it's the next thing I should try. Thing is, I'm a bit confused. I thought that one of the benefits of the rapid(ish) chilling that you get with a wort chiller was that it encouraged unwanted stuff to drop out of your wort. So I assumed that you Whirlpooled after chilling, or while chilling, to gather this in a central pile or cone. But then the immersion chiller would be in the way. Now I've read some articles, and they all state that you whirlpool before chilling. But then surely the centrifugal effect can't last long enough for the entire chill, does it? So what about the stuff that chilling is meant to drop out?

Help, I'm confused!

A whirlpool hop addition is usually made before or part way through chilling, while the wort is still hot/warm.
Whirlpooling to get a nice central cone of trub is done after chilling.
:cheers3:

Why remove chiller? Bear in mind the chiller will be sterile so leaving it in while you hop stand will be safer,then continue to chill til pitch temp,then whirlpool for hop cone with chiller removed...

Why remove chiller? Bear in mind the chiller will be sterile so leaving it in while you hop stand will be safer,then continue to chill til pitch temp,then whirlpool for hop cone with chiller removed...

Personal choice. I have previously tried to whirlpool with the chiller left in but been a bit underwhelmed compared with the amount of hops used. My chiller takes up a lot of room. For my last brew I took it out to see if it made a difference.

It is a bit of a risk but I put it inside a clean and sanitised fv and give it a good blast with starsan before putting it back in

So am i rite in thinking..

Whirlpooling is just to sweep up all the floaty bits to the middle?

It has nothing to do with flushing the wort through the extra hops?

So am i rite in thinking..

Whirlpooling is just to sweep up all the floaty bits to the middle?

It has nothing to do with flushing the wort through the extra hops?

Well my understanding is it's spinning forcing oils out and clearing the beer

I’m thinking of also adding a whirlpool arm to BK, what’s the best height to add this at in relation to the wort volume?

Latest posts

Back