Whirlpooling with immersion chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrickl06

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding whirlpooling at the end of a boil whilst using a copper immersion chiller.

Specifically

* Should the whirlpool be created whilst the chiller is running?
* If so should the paddle be spun inside the chiller?
* Should it be done when the wort is hot or near pitching temp?
* Can I cool as normal with the immersion chiller and then whirlpool after the chiller has been removed and the wort is at pitching temp? - if I do this I believe that I have to leave the "whirlpooling" wort for around 20 mins to settle out.

Many thanks for any advice in advance.

Cheers

Matt

Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding whirlpooling at the end of a boil whilst using a copper immersion chiller.

Specifically

* Should the whirlpool be created whilst the chiller is running?
* If so should the paddle be spun inside the chiller?
* Should it be done when the wort is hot or near pitching temp?
* Can I cool as normal with the immersion chiller and then whirlpool after the chiller has been removed and the wort is at pitching temp? - if I do this I believe that I have to leave the "whirlpooling" wort for around 20 mins to settle out.

Many thanks for any advice in advance.

Cheers

Matt
You certainly can whirlpool while the chiller is running. A whirl of the paddle inside the chiller should do the trick. Bear in mind that this will speed up the rate of chilling a bit - not a bad thing, but pertinent to my next point.

Whirlpooling is usually aimed at two things - getting all the cold break and other stuff in the kettle to settle in a nice cone in the center, and for whirlpool hops additions. If you are thinking about the latter, the aim is usually to keep the temp steady for a period of time to extract all the flavours from the hops. If you are doing this, you probably want to turn of the water to the chiller for that stage to maintain a steady whirlpool temp. If your aim is to have things settle out, I would go ahead and give it a whirl at the beginning of chilling, and leave it be after that so as not constantly stir the coldbreak back into the beer.

Latest posts

Back