White grape juice - can sultanas be used?

Discussion in 'Wine & Cider Recipes' started by Rodj, Jul 10, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jul 10, 2018 #1

Rodj

Rodj

Rodj

I’m starting (for the second time) to experiment with making wine from supermarket fruit juices - generally, variants of WOW. Red grape juice is readily available, but white grape juice is almost impossible to find.
    White grape juice concentrate is available: Wilkinson sells 220g bottles for £3.00, with no indication on the bottle of how concentrated it is or what volume of un-concentrated juice it is equivalent to. I queried this with Wilkinson (not straightforward!) and got the following response: “Grape juice concentrate is 68%. Typically grape juice is 8%. So, 220g at 68% diluted to 8% = 1,87 Litres of grape juice.” So in effect it’s 1.87 litres of WGJ for £3, or £1.60 a litre.
    It occurs to me that as sultanas are dried white grapes, it should be possible to use sultanas instead of WGJ, either by chopping the sultanas and putting them in the brew, or perhaps by soaking/boiling them then using the ensuing liquid.
    Does anyone know where white grape juice can be bought, or alternatively does anyone have any experience of using sultanas? If sultanas, what quantity should be used and what is the best method of using them?
    Thanks for all ideas.

2. Jul 10, 2018 #2

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

3. Jul 10, 2018 #3

cushyno

cushyno

cushyno

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I made a sultana sherry about 15 years ago using this recipe from C.J.J.Berry, one bottle left in the attic, the others have been ace over the years, improving with age.

It should give you an idea of quantities. This recipe gave about 12.5%abv which I fortified to 18%

Try to get sultanas without a coating of oil. It may give them a shine but it makes the wine difficult to clear.

1lb sultanas
    1lb grapes
    2.5lb sugar
    8oz barley
    0.5tsp citric acid
    1 nutrient tablet
    Sherry yeast
    Water to 1 gallon.

4. Jul 11, 2018 #4

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

5. Jul 11, 2018 #5

Ciaran12s

Ciaran12s

Ciaran12s

I got white grape juice from Waitrose a few weeks back. Iirc it was 1.70 a litre.

6. Jul 15, 2018 #6

Wimberry

Wimberry

Wimberry

Hi, I use sultanas all the time for my regular 5 gallon batches, use 250g per gallon, wash them first in a colander under the hot tap to remove the oil ( and it softens them) add them to your bucket then I blitz them with a hand blender, add 5 litres of orange juice and 5 tsp pectolase, add yeast and ferment on pulp for a week.
    After a week, seize into your secondary fermenter, add sugar etc

Chippy_Tea likes this.