White IPA Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been intending to do this all week, but the Biblical rain on Wednesday and Thursday put me off (my 'brewery' is out in the shed.)

Having ordered a Corny and wanting something to dispense from it, I checked the weather forecast, which predicted a clear day. So, at just after 11:00 I cleaned the kettle with some citric acid as the element was a bit grubby, and treated the 20l of liquor with some campden.

Recipe was thus:

Batch size - 11l

ABV: 6.04%
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.015
IBU: 51
Colour: 8.8 EBC

1.59 kg Lager (UK): 51.0%
550 g Wheat Malt (Bel): 17.6%
490 g - Flaked Wheat (UK): 15.7%
240 g Munich I (Ger): 7.8%
120 g Flaked Oats (UK): 4.0%
90 g Carapils (Ger): 2.9%
30 g Acidulated Malt (Ger): 1.0%
Handful of oat husks.

7.0 g Mosaic - First Wort Addition: 16.4 IBU
7.0 g Magnum - 60 mins: 13.6 IBU
8.0g Mosaic - 10 mins: 6.2 IBU
11.0 g Amarillo - 10 mins: 6.3 IBU
2.0 g Coriander Seed - 5 mins
6.0 g Dried Orange Peel - 5 mins (I dried the peel of a whole orange in the oven for 15 mins @ 100ºc)
11.0 g Mosaic - Steep 10 mins: 4.2 IBU
15.0 g Amarillo - Steep10 mins: 4.3 IBU

11.0 g Mosaic - Dry Hop 4 Days
11.0 g Amarillo - Dry Hop 4 Days
11.0 g Galaxy - Dry Hop 4 Days

1 Whirlfloc tablet - 15 mins

Brewferm Blanche

Obligatory grist shot
331gmsy.jpg

By 11:45 the HLT was on. This was going to be the first time using the hop filter I knocked up a week or so ago.

Liquor coming up to temp
315irg4.jpg

I mashed in half an hour later. 11.51l of water at 71.3ºc was added for the main infusion at 66.7ºc for 90 minutes. Following this I had one batch sparge addition of 8.23l at 71.3ºc.

Hop and flavour additions
2dv53co.jpg

First wort hops
28wjy45.jpg

Immersion Chiller and 10 min hops added
mvqfep.jpg

I decided to add the juice from the orange for the last 5 minutes, rather than waste. Was only about 40ml so doubt it will make much difference.

Post-boil FG - temp adjusted this was 1.061 - bang on
6i73w1.jpg

Unfortunately the holes in my hop filter are too big, and they allowed substantial trub and the odd bit of hop leaf through. I have some more copper pipe so will either drill some smaller holes and keep the same design, or make a manifold.

I'm in trub-le
b54ei8.jpg

Unfortunately I ended up 2.5l short on my desired volume - this was a combination of not draining the tun fully, a more aggressive boil (due to lower boil volume) and higher quantity of hops than previous. So 8.5l at 1.061. Yeast pitched at 20ºc.

Happy with the colour
5ct2u.jpg

After cleaning up, I was inside by 16:50, just before the Heavens opened.

I like the sound of this. I guess this turns out as a hoppy wheat beer? Be interested to hear how it turns out, sounds like my sort of beverage.

It's a hybrid of a Wit and an American-style IPA, the spice and phenols of the yeast and coriander set it apart from American Wheat beers.

I've only had a few commercial examples, but loved them.

Thank you. Yep, I've got a Wit base recipe that I'm pretty happy with. Just added some Munich for a bit of colour and upped the amounts. The Acid malt was meant to be 120g, but only had 30g left in the bag and the Carapils happened to be the next in the box.

1g per litre each of galaxy, amarillo and mosaic added today, for 4 days as hopefully will be able to keg on Wednesday. The Mosaic especially smelt fantastic.

Pulled a sample and was down to 1.011 so hopefully it will drop a few more points. Sample was tasty enough, quite bitter but not unpleasantly so. I may add some fresh orange peel or juice tomorrow

1g per litre each of galaxy, amarillo and mosaic added today, for 4 days as hopefully will be able to keg on Wednesday. The Mosaic especially smelt fantastic.

Pulled a sample and was down to 1.011 so hopefully it will drop a few more points. Sample was tasty enough, quite bitter but not unpleasantly so. I may add some fresh orange peel or juice tomorrow

Good to know about the mosaic as I had a single hops mosaic beer and was underwhelmed. They obviously don't put enought in for my tastes :roll:

I can taste it already. I did a similar recipe a while back 'Noah Knows' and it turned out very nice indeed.

Just kegged this, ended at 1.011 so 6.4% or so.

Didn't get any pictures as was my first go at kegging, but it smells great. Very fruity as intended. The galaxy was slightly muted and I think added a bit of a grassy tone, but not overpowering and not particularly unpleasant.

Will post a pic of it once carbed.

Planning on a rebrew of this tomorrow to bottle. Dropping the Mosaic FWH which was a waste of tasty hop and adding some Mandarina Bavaria at 10 mins, flameout and dry hop to accentuate the orangey-ness. Don't have any galaxy, but should be able to get a bit to dry hop again.

Also using WLP400 instead of the Brewferm Blanche.

Dried peel from 2 oranges in the oven yesterday. Will add the juice too.

Having checked my ingredients I only have about 100g flaked wheat and no malted wheat. Didn't plan this very well.

Luckily a microbrewer friend is joining me for the brewday and can bring some. If it turns out decent, we may do a small batch on his pilot kit for a bottled summer special. Our previous collaboration attempt, a brown ale, got infected in primary so fingers crossed.

Sparge water heating up. Amended the recipe slightly - using Pilsner malt as the base as that's what I have. Mandarina Bavaria will be going in as a dry hop.

Looks and sounds really nice, might have to do one of these for a summer brew.

Recipe sound fantastic, right up my street
I have tried a local ale with Mandarina Bavaria and it is very orangy, tangerine flavour so should be a winner. Just bought some for my next beer.

Quick question, I am thinking of adding grapefruit peel to one of my beers and wondered why do you dry the orange peel before adding. I was just going to cover mine with boiling water and then throw it in.

Down to 1.028 yesterday afternoon, so half way through. Taste is very fruity, a bit yeasty and sweet as you'd imagine at this stage in fermentation.

Back