White labs English ale vial?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy Growler

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping you could help, doing half batch brew today my first step away from kit brewing to biab.
So I have a white labs English ale yeast that comes in a vial like packet, what would you recommend, half the packet or put the full packet in?
I'm not bothered about saving money by only using half etc, seen a couple of threads on dry yeast but I'm uncertain what to do with this style.

If it was me, I'd delay the brewday. Put the vial in a starter and use half the starter and save the other half in the fridge
Is there any other way so I can brew today? I should have asked this yesterday 🤦🏻‍♂️ my bad, if I don't brew today I'll have to wait until Saturday.

If your desperate to brew today just use the whole vial. I think it says on the packs (both white labs and wyeast) that it's enough to pitch without making a starter for 19L. But that is for the american market as they can get yeast door to door in a couple of days. You dont know how it's been handled by the time it gets over to the UK so for a full length brew it's very advisable to make a starter. So for your half size, if you chuck it all in you should be fine

If your desperate to brew today just use the whole vial. I think it says on the packs (both white labs and wyeast) that it's enough to pitch without making a starter for 19L. But that is for the american market as they can get yeast door to door in a couple of days. You dont know how it's been handled by the time it gets over to the UK so for a full length brew it's very advisable to make a starter. So for your half size, if you chuck it all in you should be fine
I see what you mean now, I'll go with the second option that you and @Leon103 has advised 🤣 it is an experiment after all.... I don't have room in the fridge at the moment, fully stocked with beer and food cos of covid....

I see what you mean now, I'll go with the second option that you and @Leon103 has advised 🤣 it is an experiment after all.... I don't have room in the fridge at the moment, fully stocked with beer and food cos of covid....

If you like the yeast you can always harvest some after fermentation or grow some up from your own bottles of HB

If you like the yeast you can always harvest some after fermentation or grow some up from your own bottles of HB
This is something I really want to do but I'm still a newbie so maybe get a few more brew days under my belt then start looking in to this. Cheers mate 🍻

Hi all, hoping you could help, doing half batch brew today my first step away from kit brewing to biab.
So I have a white labs English ale yeast that comes in a vial like packet, what would you recommend, half the packet or put the full packet in?
I'm not bothered about saving money by only using half etc, seen a couple of threads on dry yeast but I'm uncertain what to do with this style.
Those test-tube like vials are actually unblown blanks for PET drinks bottles! It would be impossible to separate the vial 50/50 even if it were a good idea, which it is not, because the liquid yeast inside will be in various sized clumps floating about within the thin storage liquid. If the yeast is not that old (what date is on it?) and you're only doing a half size batch then pitching all of it is probably about right.

Those test-tube like vials are actually unblown blanks for PET drinks bottles! It would be impossible to separate the vial 50/50 even if it were a good idea, which it is not, because the liquid yeast inside will be in various sized clumps floating about within the thin storage liquid. If the yeast is not that old (what date is on it?) and you're only doing a half size batch then pitching all of it is probably about right.
BBE 18th September 20

BBE 18th September 20

That means the yeast was likely manufactured in March. Depending on what pitching rate calculator you use your looking at around 60% viability. For 10L of 1066 beer you'll still be under pitching by a fair bit even on a lower pitch rate. I'd stress that ideally you'd make a starter, however, if you must brew today, could you get away with just chucking it in? Quite possibly.

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

That means the yeast was likely manufactured in March. Depending on what pitching rate calculator you use your looking at around 60% viability. For 10L of 1066 beer you'll still be under pitching by a fair bit even on a lower pitch rate. I'd stress that ideally you'd make a starter, however, if you must brew today, could you get away with just chucking it in? Quite possibly.

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/
We shall find out and I'll let you all know 😬🤞

Back