White labs hefeweizen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brydo

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys, as I only do one gallon batches I'm going tobtry and get four serviungs out of one packet of this yeast. Having a marathon brewing day tomorrow when I'm gonna do all four brews in one day. My question is once opened will the yeast be OK to sit for a few hours open in the fridge while I'm boiling and mashing ? Cheers guys

As long as your sanitisation procedures are good, it should be fine.

Can I just ask? If you are planning on brewing 4 1 gallon batches of hefewizen in one day, would it not be simpler to make the move to 4/5 gallon brewing? One fermentation vessel would probably take up less floor space than 4 demijohns and it would certainly take up less time than four individual mashes and boils.

Brew in a bag makes it pretty straightforward. You just need a big pot.

Its brew in a bag that I'm doing, I like to make subtle changes to each brew. Same yeast but different hops or a different malt. Just trying to get a feel for each yeast.

Fair enough, I just did the opposite, one mash/boil, then split into 1gal and 3gal, 1 waited to be inoculated with lactobacteria, the rest got heffeweissen yeast, then split in 2ndary into 3x 1gal with fruits or just bottled.

I'd be inclined to pour the yeast into a sanitised jam jar and leave it on the worktop with some sanitised foil on top and decant from there, if anything an open bag or in the fridge is more likely I'd have thought to pick up mold spores or bacteria which the fridge is probably crawling with.

Wasn't planing on it as the packet just says t pitch it direct onto the wort. Do you think I should ? I've never used it before so not sure

I think id make a 1l starter. It would make it a bit easier to split a 1l four ways than the few mgs you get in a white labs vial.
...actually, if you have the new packaging from white labs, I think that would be very hard to store all day and split four ways..?

I would have def made a starter, especially if your splitting up it will make it easier to divide up and it will be going and starting along nicely.

Latest posts

Back