White Labs WLP001 Calafornia Ale Yeast - STARTER

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Gents,

just a quick question; ive got the White Labs WLP001 Calafornia Ale Yeast. Whats the best starter for it or just poor in?

Its currently in beer fridge at 20Degrees. Will be pitching this evening

thanks

Whats the expected OG of the beer? You can use a calculator like this one to work out the starter size.

If you are pitching tonight then its too late to make a starter anyway.

I always overbuild my starters by 100 billion cells and keep this back for the next brew, much easier than washing the yeast after the brew and no way Im paying £7-8 each brew for yeast.

shall I just pour in then out of the packet? I've never used a live yeast before only started dry yeasts with water at about 25degree

OG should be around 1055 and FG 1014
23l Mosaic IPA 5.5%

ok just done it; if I had time what sthe main set up of a starter with a live yeast?

There are loads of good guides online for making starters. The basic principle is you make a very simple wort of close to 1.037 SG (1L water to 100g DME) with a light malt extract and pitch your yeast into this, let it ferment out then either pitch this into your wort (your final beer wort) or you can chill the starter and pour the beer off the yeast and just pitch the yeast slurry.

You first use an online calculator to work out what size of starter you need, depending on your beer. Lets say you need a 1L starter, then you will boil a bit over 1L water (some will boil off) and 100g DME for 15 mins. Put the pan in cold water until this "wort" is down to pitching temperature then pour into your flask (erlenmeyer type is ideal) and add the yeast. after about 24 - 48 hours the yeast will have fermented out and your starter is ready. This can either be pitched directly as is or you can cool it down more and pour off most of the fermented wort from the top and swirl the yeast back into the liquid and pour in.

Basically what you are doing here is multiplying the yeast cells to get the desired number for your brew.

Obviously everything coming into contact needs properly cleaned and sanitised before use. The process is very simple but I would advise reading some of the very useful guides out there. As I said before I also suggest overbuilding the starter and saving some for future beers.

Latest posts

Back