White Shield Worthington.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White Shield Worthington is a good drink, and used to be one of my Dad’s favourites. However it seems to have vanished from the scene. Does anybody know where it can still be obtained?

Evening CD...I think it's readily available online..although,a few years ago I bought some on its reputation and wasn't overly excited..perhaps they've changed it..
I think you should root out a recipe and brew your own!!

Evening CD...I think it's readily available online..although,a few years ago I bought some on its reputation and wasn't overly excited..perhaps they've changed it..
I think you should root out a recipe and brew your own!!
I haven't managed to find anywhere on line that has any. Can you be more specific? It was brewed at one time at the small plant in the Bass Museum at Burton-on-Trent, then by Coors, so that may be why it changed. I don't want to brew it myself as I dont fancy having 30 odd gallons of it, but the odd bottle would make a nice change.

If you try to buy some from them, the screen goes dark except for a small white window saying 'error'! I frankly think it isn't being brewed at the moment.
You might be right. I found a few more suppliers but they were all out of stock. If Coors do stop brewing this beer it will be a shame to say the least.

Wouldn't surprise me if Coors have dropped it. My grandfather's ale of choice and memory stamped as the first beer I ordered in a pub. White Shield lives on as 'Masterpiece' from Heritage Brewing Co in Burton in the Museum's original Worthington Brewery site, though not sure if it's available in the original bottle conditioned form. The Cask is excellent if you can get hold of it.

https://www.heritagebrewingcompany.co.uk/about/

I bought a pack a couple of years ago and was somewhat underwhelmed. It used to be considered near iconic. I even cultured the yeast to use in a brew. Whether my taste have changed, the brew has changed or its been superseded by all the other great bottled beers that are now freely available.

I bought a pack a couple of years ago and was somewhat underwhelmed. It used to be considered near iconic. I even cultured the yeast to use in a brew. Whether my taste have changed, the brew has changed or its been superseded by all the other great bottled beers that are now freely available.
The last time I bought it was from Morrisons, and it was probably a long time ago before Coors got involved.

Yes I have brewed that one as well

Very acceptable - In fact I may have to brew some more
I've also been thinking of having a go at this.
I made a note sometime back (perhaps from an "authentic?" source) that WS has Fuggles and Challenger as the primary bittering hops and Northdown as a late hop, but no quantities. The GW recipe excludes Fuggles.
Anyway I came across this link whilst perusing tinterweb and it gives what may be the brewery recipe. I might have a go but use Challenger as a substitute for Northdown as I have a freezer bag full of hops that really needs to be reduced not added to.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/worthington-white-shield-clone.479109/#post-6199630

I've also been thinking of having a go at this.
I made a note sometime back (perhaps from an "authentic?" source) that WS has Fuggles and Challenger as the primary bittering hops and Northdown as a late hop, but no quantities. The GW recipe excludes Fuggles.
Anyway I came across this link whilst perusing tinterweb and it gives what may be the brewery recipe. I might have a go but use Challenger as a substitute for Northdown as I have a freezer bag full of hops that really needs to be reduced not added to.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/worthington-white-shield-clone.479109/#post-6199630
Thanks

Indeed the GW one doesn't include Fuggles

I may have a go at the one in the link

But never heard of Halcyon Malt before

Latest posts

Back