White wine instead of white grape

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamieola

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could use white wine instead of white grape? Maybe a cheap white to take the place of white grape. would it work?

I am not sure what you are asking, if you have cheap wine you cannot make it into something else unless i am missing something.

If you cannot find white grape juice to make your own try red grape juice (it doesn't make red wine) have a look at this thread for some ideas - How to make Supermarket Juice Wine - HERE.

what im saying is white wine is essentially white fermented grape juice, if it went through re fermentation with say sugar and apple juice would the wine take the place of the white grape juice and produce a drinkable wine.

I don't think i have ever seen the question asked, i doubt the alcohol that is already in the wine would do the yeast any favours as it starts to multiply, you can use grape concentrate to make up a litre of white grape juice if it has to be white wine but if you don't mind a Rose type wine have a look at this (you will use the same method if you can find white grape juice concentrate) - How to make Supermarket Juice Wine - HERE.

Ye its white wine all the way for me. But yeast virtually live in alcohol during fermentation, do you think the low content of say a 8,5 wine would kill off the yeast before fermentation starts?

Can I use wine to make wine is the best question I've heard all month.

You could add sugar and yeast to a weak wine to make normal strength wine. It would cost a lot more than using grape juice though due to Mr tax man

Grape juice is in tinned peaches at Asda 56p a tin. Lidl do bigger tins that are better value but I don't know the price. Wilko sell concentrated grape juices for £5. Ritches produce a grape concentrate and supply many home brew stores at various prices. My point is you can make 6 (or more) bottles of wine for less than the cost of a cheap bottle.

Posts removed, as the new member said it was just a thought no need for the **** taking and I will have a word about about the responses in private.

I think Jamieola was 'thinking outside the box'. Certainly not a question that I've seen on any forums that I've trawled through in my attempt to gain more and more knowledge on this addictive hobby! I think the question deserves a little bit of credit! Now Jamieola is more the wiser for it, and also understands some economics of home brewing. 😁 clapa

I think Jamieola was 'thinking outside the box'. Certainly not a question that I've seen on any forums that I've trawled through in my attempt to gain more and more knowledge on this addictive hobby! I think the question deserves a little bit of credit! Now Jamieola is more the wiser for it, and also understands some economics of home brewing. 😁 clapa
As I said earlier, it was a good question. If we didn't have brewers yeast, we could "seed" a batch of wort by pouring the dregs from a couple of bottles of bottle-conditioned beer into it. If it works for beer, why shouldn't it work for wine? Well, it's not bottle-conditioned. Even trad Champoo has the yeast blasted out before the cork is put in. But, in principle, using white wine to "seed" sweetened apple juice would work if commercial wine were not so highly processed. and it would produce grape cider.

Guessing someone didn't quite get the welcome they deserved. Shame.

@Jamieola is correct that yeast continue to ferment in alcoholic liquid but they only do so once they have adapted to the environment. They start off in high sugar no alcohol environments and then do their thing, adapting along the way. Introducing new yeast into a high sugar high alcohol environment is likely to cause some additional fermentation but I would expect the yeast to be killed off before it was able to fully ferment the sugars. In addition, you'd likely end up with some fairly rank wine - it would either be very sweet (because the yeast died) or if it did manage to ferment, it would be a lot stronger than normal wine and so likely to taste quite hot.

If you're wanting to ferment something, you could try turbo cider using store-bought fruit juice. That's quite cheap, easy and tasty.

Latest posts

Back