White wine is brown

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Reaction score
I'm very new to this and this is the first time Ive made a white wine. Used a kit and followed the instructions, all my gear was sterilzed.

After 24 hours and the wine had turned from a black colour to brown. 10 days on and it's still brown.

Hydrometer says it's finished fermenting so I've added stabiliser and finings a and b about an hour ago now.

I'm just a bit worried about the colour. Is this normal? Will it change to a normal wine colour or is there something wrong?

This is my WineBuddy Sav blanc (white wine) on day 10. (still fermenting)

20140917_155044_0.jpg

20150228_192943.jpg

This is how the last one i made turned out. (picture posted by pookiehair - same kit)

attachment.php

So I shouldn't worry then? Your final product looks beautiful.

This is mine at the moment and roughly the colour it's been since day 2

rBPFKOi.jpg

That is a lot darker than mine, could you post the name of the kit others may have made it.

I wouldn't worry it'll clear in time, you didn't by any chance mix the fining sachet up with the dog food? :lol:

Haha no dog food in it although it looks like it.

The kit was a Cedar Gold Soave I got in Lakeland. 15 bottle kit.

Here are two DJ's of my red grape juice and apple juice wine, they turn from this colour to the colour in the bottle below, yours will be fine.

20140809_171344.jpg

c03371zf.jpg

Are you sure it isn't a red kit by mistake?

Interesting pressure barrel, not seen one like that before.

Is the wine still fermenting, as I guess that's an airlock on top.

Scaff

Are you sure it isn't a red kit by mistake?

Interesting pressure barrel, not seen one like that before.

Is the wine still fermenting, as I guess that's an airlock on top.

Scaff

I wondered myself if it was a red when I saw the juice from the cans but as I'd never done a white before I figured it was right.

Yes it's an airlock on top. It's a muntons fermenter I got in Lakeland. Should I not have the airlock on once it's finished fermenting? I usually leave it in place for clearing. The instructions don't mention what to do so I just put it back on.

Thanks for the advice.

The air lock screws off and you can screw in a cap in its place but I will be bottling once it clears. Its a really cool bit of kit, the only negative is it sort of bevels in where the tap is so you get sediment sat on top of that bit right above the tap so you have to be really careful not to disturb it when you come to bottle.

Scaff posted

Take some more pics through the stages.

Perhaps drop an email to the company saying its your first kit and you didn't know what to expect but you wanted a white kit, they may send you another one !

Rich, full-flavoured classic wine, ready to drink in about 3 weeks, made at home by your own fair hand how good does that sound? Start laying down your cellar with this no-fuss kit. Using only the finest ingredients from single named grape varieties, the wine you make will improve with age try it after 3 months, if you can wait that long, and the results will amaze you. As zingy as a bright summer's day, this medium-bodied white will tickle your palate with citrus notes when served chilled with light pasta and seafood dishes.

Comprises concentrated grape juice, wine yeast, yeast nutrient, stabiliser and full instructions. Makes 15 x 75cl bottles.

(You will also need a 15-bottle fermenter, long-handled spoon and hydrometer.)

Cat Ref: SKU52218

52218_1

It's definitley a white, still looks brown but when you shine a light on it you can see its a white so I'm confident it's going to clear.

As you can see it's starting to clear nicely. Looks quite red in photo but I think that's because of what's behind it, it's a nice golden colour when you shine a light through it. Still early days. Moved it into garage as it's cooler in there.
qfvn2et.jpg

What method of degassing did you use?
If degassing is the problem your wine is fine it'll just take a bit longer to clear to clear.

What method of degassing did you use?
If degassing is the problem your wine is fine it'll just take a bit longer to clear to clear.

Added stabiliser and gave it a thorough stir. Was fizzing like mad when I did it. Had stopped by the time I finished.

It might be worth doing again as any CO2 left will trap sediment and make your wine take longer to clear, this will of course stir the sediment back in so it will be like starting again.

If you intend making a lot of wine in your FV you could make one of these to make degassing much quicker and efficient - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48971

Latest posts

Back