White Zinfandel Yeast Recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smirnoff20

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here, so go gentle. Am on my third kit - Kenridge White Zinfandel. I swapped out the yeast on my second kit which was the same kit as the first but with a different yeast - wow what difference.

So my question is what yeast would you recommend for a white zinfandel. I see plenty of recommendations for the red zinfandel, but not the white (rose).

I'm not sure what the kit yeast is with the KR white zinfandel, but judging by the difference between my 1st and 2nd kits with a swap out of the yeast I'm looking to attain the same results. Just need a clue as to which yeast I should entertain.

Over to you lovely lot :-)

Welcome to the forum.

I would make it with the supplied yeast then you have a benchmark for your future experiment with other yeast.

Hi and thanks for coming back to me. Given the difference between the kit yeast and swap out yeast in my first two brews, I'd rather not waste the time and energy on a bog standard kit yeast moving forward. Want to step right up to the next level with it.

So if anyone has any good suggestions for a yeast for white zinfandel that would be appreciated.

Cheers

You seem to be tarring all kits with the same brush, you don't know what yeast the kit manufacturers use so how do you know you are going to better it (this time), i would imagine kit manufacturers do their up-most to make their kits the best they can be not use cheap ingredients to save a few pence, at the end of the day its your money, time and energy and i wish you luck.

You seem to be tarring all kits with the same brush, you don't know what yeast the kit manufacturers use so how do you know you are going to better it (this time), i would imagine kit manufacturers do their up-most to make their kits the best they can be not use cheap ingredients to save a few pence, at the end of the day its your money, time and energy and i wish you luck.

From what I've read its not uncommon to change the yeast on a kit. I'm just looking for recommendations form those who've already tried and improved upon the base kit.

Thanks though, much appreciated.

Been asking my best friend (google) for days now, yet seem to be coming up short on this subject. Looks like it will be the kit option at this rate.

What was your first 2 kits? What brand?
I have always found kenridge use good quality yeast rather than cheapo "gets the job done yeast" however if you would like to change the yeast there's no problem with doing that I no longer use any nasty cheap yeasts
Any of the Lalvin yeasts are highly recommended read up on the descriptions of each variety so you can decide which yeast will impart the flavours and dry/sweetness that you would like to achieve

For dry you could try the ec-1118
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Lalvin_EC-1118_Champange_Yeast.html

Or if you would like a sweeter white you could try the d47
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Lalvin-D47_wine_yeast.html
Those aren't the only 2 though so read up and decide which you think suits you.

Also you could try rehydrating the yeast before you pitch them
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SL92Bd4kfbQ

Latest posts

Back