Whitstable Bay pale ale clone attempt 2. Any tips?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whitstable Bay Pale Ale by Shepherd Neame

Attempting my second go at this, as it’s a perfect summer English ale to my palette. Seems to be some contradiction in their description though, can it be both full bodied as well as being light, thirst quenching refreshing? Haven’t had since last time I was back in Kent over a year ago and you can’t get it over here in Belfast. Actually emailed shepherd neame for tips but didn’t hear back.

TASTING NOTES

A full bodied, fruity ale with a subtle bitterness and glorious grapefruit and pine aromas.

Whitstable Bay Pale Ale is designed to suit all palates and offer a light, thirst quenching, refreshing taste

Elsewhere I read that it uses challenger and Slovenian Goldings, and that hops are added mostly late.

Last time the recipe below produced a nice ale but it didn’t really taste like whitstable bay, there was a slight ( albeit not unpleasant) tang. Not sure it was from sugar, yeast or the Slovenian hops (new and well kept pellets). the tang faded with time and without it the ale was more like a nice Pilsner, tasted good but not what I was after.

So this time I’m going to maybe try a different yeast, i used safeale 04 but thinking of using verdant this time to give some fruitiness. Maybe use golden syrup or glucose instead of table sugar, and cut a back a bit on the Slovenian Goldings a bit. I could mash higher i guess but was happy with the body of attempt 1.

Anyone any tips? Attempt 1 below.

Mashed at 63c

Crisp Maris otter 2.5 kg

Crisp europils 1kg

Weyerman wheat 300g

Table sugar 200g

20g challenger first wort

20 g challenger 10 mins

25g challenger 15g Slovenian Goldings 5 mins

15g Slovenian Goldings, flame out

Safeale 04 3 weeks @ 19c then kegged and carbed over two weeks.

OG 1045, Fg 1010, abv 4.6%

Came out well, good mouthfeel and body but I want to take it nearer to whitstable bay pale. The colour was close at pale gold.

Latest posts

Back