Who’s a plastic City fan ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Read a funny article earlier about Man City being a growing fan base.

Wonder why that is ?

Who’s a City fan on here who wasn’t born in Manchester ... and why do you support your none home town team ?

I am a City fan and as I have said in other threads was there when we were ****, I wasn't born in Manchester I have never lived there does that make me less of a fan than a Manc, I don't think so.

I cannot remember the reason why I started to support City all those years ago but its probably because the default club to support at the time was United as they were winning everything their support is now worldwide does that mean the vast majority of United fans are plastics?

I have never understood why not living in the city/town of the club you support makes you a plastic fan we don't have a football team where we live so why does that make me a plastic fan?

Last edited:
Simple human psychology innit. People like to be associated with winners.

Ive never understood this purist mentality, that you cant support whoever you like or chop and change. Football teams are just sports corporations, I dont own or play for a football team so have no link to or identify with these millionaires running around booting a pig skin,I just enjoy watching the game. If I shop in Tesco and then change to Sainsburys no one is going to call me a plastic Tesco's customer. To me it's the same difference

Spot on MyQul.

I get why people who are not interested in football and some that are call professional football players overpaid but it's only the premier league clubs that pay these ridiculous wages and it's not the players fault they all have agents and it's the agents that dictate how much they are paid those in the lower leagues probably only earn what some people here do and they are in a profession where they risk a career ending injury every time they play.

Football's like politics; a bit of a sticky subject.

I'm one of the stereotypical United fans; not from Manchester, but a small Welsh Valleys town. Does that make me less of a fan than someone who has the fortune to be born 10 mins from Old Trafford? Not to me. When I first started getting into the game at 7 all of the kids I grew up with supported Liverpool so being a contrary git I chose the polar opposite. By 11 I had been to United games, and that was that, I wasn't going to support someone else closer once I had seen them, and the nearest "Local" team were still a travel away. Bryan Robson was my hero and being Welsh I loved Mark Hughes. Celebrated and suffered lisatening to games on 5 Live before I had my own place and Sky. Glad I was fortunate to see the magic Fergie made. Unfortunately for the most part we have been absolute toss since he left and the influx of huge wages / agents / etc means it isn't the game I fell in love with, it's a business now (we don't even have "Football Club" on our crest any more ffs) but I don't understand people who change their club and could never do it myself. United may be **** at the moment, infuriate me, ruin my weekends, but they are my club and always will be.

This year's title race has been murder for me, but at the end of the day I'd still rather Citeh than that other lot, who I despise with a passion.

Now the season's almost over (mercifully) going to use an upcoming Saturday to try BIAB for the first time. Hopefully I'll be more competent at it than United have been at football lately.

Simple human psychology innit. People like to be associated with winners.

Ive never understood this purist mentality, that you cant support whoever you like or chop and change. Football teams are just sports corporations, I dont own or play for a football team so have no link to or identify with these millionaires running around booting a pig skin,I just enjoy watching the game. If I shop in Tesco and then change to Sainsburys no one is going to call me a plastic Tesco's customer. To me it's the same difference
I did change my football team.

I was born in Durham, but grew up in Dundee where most of my mates were glory-hunting Rangers fans and I followed the crowd. When Sunderland were promoted to the Premier League in 1996 (I was 12), my Dad (a lifelong Sunderland fan) said he’d take me to the Boxing Day home game when we were visiting my grandparents for Christmas. Sunderland won 2-0 and the rest, as they say, is history!

Grown men kissing and spitting in silly, baggy shorts. As someone said, it's an entertainment business, not a true sport. I've only been to one match, 50 years ago. But live and let live.

Kids will always gravitate towards successful teams. It explains why so many Manchester United fans live in the south of England, Ireland, Wales etc. When they were winning everything, kids wanted a Man U shirt and that then sticks with them for the rest of their lives. It's either that or it gets passed down from your Father. I wasn't given an option and I didn't give my son an option either!

Consequently, things change over time. The way Man U are going, in 20 years' time they won't have so many fans outside of Greater Manchester, whereas there might be many more City fans.

Although you can like other teams, in my view you support one team and you stick with them for the rest of your life - through good times and bad. That's what the word 'supporter' means.

Fair enough lots like it and they're mostly overpaid. The thing I don't get is where they fall all over the place pretending to be hurt.

Although you can like other teams, in my view you support one team and you stick with them for the rest of your life - through good times and bad. That's what the word 'supporter' means.

City have had their bad times (lots and lots of them) and we are now having the good as you say if you are a fan you stick with them through the bad times and hope one day the good times will come.

I think next season will be a lot different to this one Ole will be given money and i think they will have a bit of a clean out i was listening to 5 live the other night and they were saying they really need to sort defence, i think Arsenal will be a different team next season 7 draws has ****** them this season, Liverpool will be pushing for top spot from the start and then there is Chelsea who are currently third and like arsenal have suffered from too many draws this season.

The thing I don't get is where they fall all over the place pretending to be hurt.

I hate cheats and some players do it a lot more than others (some classics from No Salad in the video below) there was a lot of negativity when they started to discuss Video Assisted Referee (VAR) but i am all for it as it will stop these cheating ***** in their tracks.

The basics -

VAR stands for video assistant referee. It is actually a team of three people who work together to review certain decisions made by the main referee by watching video replays of the relevant incidents.

That team is comprised of the video assistant referee himself (who will be a current or former referee), his assistant and a replay operator. They are situated in a video operation room which is essentially a bank of monitors offering different camera angles.

Four types of decisions can be reviewed using VAR: goals (and violations in the build-up to them), penalties, red cards and mistaken identity in awarding a card. For a decision made on the pitch to be overturned, it must be a "clear error".

The process for reviewing a decision can work in two ways; either the referee can request a review after making a decision or the VAR team can recommend one. In the latter situation, if the VAR judges that there is the potential for a clear error to have been made, he or she can notify the referee.

The referee then has three options: they can immediately overturn the call based on the VAR's advice, review the incident themselves on a monitor on the touchline or stick with their initial decision.

Read in full -
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/wha...-systems-world-cup/19m696jq7onm618n3v9oqs02ab

Latest posts

Back