Who can brew beer at home

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
84EF7582-8ADF-4541-90DA-88B7307DD7BE.jpeg
743C1E92-A318-4D3E-A092-DBCBB299D304.jpeg
D75608CD-2A0B-425C-AF45-2998EDF8DADD.jpeg
I am waiting for all the moaning and groaning when they ban wood burners, its already in the pipeline
Noooo
My second obsession
D75608CD-2A0B-425C-AF45-2998EDF8DADD.jpeg
743C1E92-A318-4D3E-A092-DBCBB299D304.jpeg
84EF7582-8ADF-4541-90DA-88B7307DD7BE.jpeg

The price on my tariff for heating electricity has more than doubled in well under 10 years.
But I worry not.!!!

Whilst laying in bed in a futile attempt to keep warm I console myself by thinking of the wonderfull returns the shareholders and executives are getting from me and how i am at least "doing my bit ".

It gives me a nice warm glow.

The price on my tariff for heating electricity has more than doubled in well under 10 years.
But I worry not.!!!

Whilst laying in bed in a futile attempt to keep warm I console myself by thinking of the wonderfull returns the shareholders and executives are getting from me and how i am at least "doing my bit ".

It gives me a nice warm glow.
You should get a medal.
The same Prime minister who gave the feed back tariff in Australia also gave all those on or under $80,000 / year $900 each to stimulate the economy, it was no surprise when most of it went into the pokie machines. He also gave free roof insulation to all houses. When he came into power Australia was in surplus thanks to the conservative government who was in power prior, and to be fair the mining boom, who I might add gave everyone who put $1,000 into their superannuation scheme at the end of the financial year, $2,000 tax free dollars into the said scheme. Needless to say it didn't take long to put Australia back into debt, moral of this is beware of any Prime minister called Kevin.
On a more serious side our electricity has gone up around 60% in 10 years seems to be the same world wide, got to be a conspiracy theory there somewhere.
I really think there has to be a cheaper solution, Victoria where I live has over 400 extinct volcanoes, there has to be a source of thermal energy there somewhere, it is deep below the surface but technology now must surely be able to get 5 kilometers into the earths surface.
I did work on the gas fields in Moomba the hot granite rock is closer to the surface there ideal for a thermal energy power plant. I really do wonder if cheap power is on the back burner until the fracking and deep sea gas and oil diminishes.

From the $ and cents I presume that you aren't in the UK.

Here we don't have any problems with electricity prices. A Tory government privatised the electricity supply many years ago. The generating companies were subsequently bought by foreign investors. The foreign investors keep increasing their profits by increasing their prices. Everyone is happy ...

... but God only knows why! aheadbuttaheadbutt
Supply and demand, and electricity is always going to be in demand.

A big problem here is some in the enviromental lobby want all new homes to be electric heating ONLY !!!!

Thank goodness I am moving soon to a home heated with gas at about 1/3rd of the price.athumb..

Last edited:
I am waiting for all the moaning and groaning when they ban wood burners, its already in the pipeline

I quote from SWMBO "Ha! You know how to fetch wood from the pile and chuck it into the stove, but where are you when the lorry dumps three tons of wood on the drive?"

In my defence, it took a lot of organising to ensure that I was somewhere on the other side of the world when the wood was delivered! clapa

BTW, the new house has gas central heating! Pussy Whipped? Moi? :confused.: Yes, but without the pussy! aheadbutt aheadbutt

Machinist / CNC Programmer / Tooling Engineer.

I think most people are shocked because beer just seems like a very complex process. They're a bit more shocked when you tell them you make it from grain.

I started because I liked beer that was beyond my budget at the time.

All the Best,
D. White

I design and build speakers, I also built my own CNC router to do so :) Also playing with 3D printing and electronics. I think brewing attracts engineer types because there is lots of expensive equipment that you can make for yourself if a bit of know-how.

To the original question, I've noticed some people imagine large quantities of flammable liquid like a bathtub of spirits.

Most people just think it's cool, but way too complicated for them. Talking about various malts or hops and fermenting vs conditioning etc confirms their feelings. Frankly, getting good at brewing is quite complex, but that's why it's an interesting hobby.

When people say it's easy to brew, I say it's also easy to make speakers that produce some sound, but getting to the level of being great at something is never easy.

Its also amazing how many of the general public STILL think homebrew is just rocket fuel at about twice the strengh of whiskey.
It is of course as ssashton says a mixture of art and science.

I don't think they are banning wood burners they are banning burning fossil fuel, we have an open fire and have tried using smokeless fuel (the stuff that looks like coal) it's useless, it takes ages to get it burning using fire lighters and it burns really slowly in an open fire and gives little heat, we are considering installing a multi fuel stove so you can force this stuff to burn properly as you have control over the stove airflow.

A great example of smokeless fuel is Anthracite. With its high carbon content, burning this coal won’t cause as much damage to the environment because it contains less volatile materials than traditional house coal. This means that there is no thick smoke produced and it’s suitable for use in smoke control areas.

Last edited:
I know Chippy but its still fossil and causes damage, just because you can't see it, it is still there in smaller quantitys, don't get me wrong I am no green warrior and I am still in 2 minds about global warming, I am 50-50 man made and mother earth having a bit of a wobble

I know Chippy but its still fossil and causes damage, just because you can't see it, it is still there in smaller quantitys, don't get me wrong I am no green warrior and I am still in 2 minds about global warming, I am 50-50 man made and mother earth having a bit of a wobble

I guess its a case of let them burn fossil fuel that is the least damaging as the alternative would be a ban and there would be an uproar especially as a lot of people have spent a lot of money getting old fires removed and wood burners and multi fuel stoves installed.

I think i will put off getting my multi fuel stove for a couple of years and see how this turns out.

Someone recently asked me how much it costs me to make a pint and I replied around 50-60p - I was dumbfounded when he replied 'oh not really that cheap then'!
Thats probably because they drink lager from the supermarket at just over £2 for 4 cans (just under 2ltrs)

Back