Why celebrate 02/06/22?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know why we are celebrating the 75th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth’s reign on the 2nd of June THIS year?

As far as I am aware, this date is not the 75th anniversary of anything significant that happened in the UK!

George VI, died on 7th February 1952 and Princess Elizabeth was pronounced Queen by the Accession Committee on 8th February 1952.

The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth was on 2nd June 1953!

So why are we celebrating:
  1. 112 Days AFTER the 75th anniversary of when she was declared Queen Elizabeth II? OR
  2. One year BEFORE the 75th anniversary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II?
I am genuinely confused!
aheadbutt

The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Central Weekend 2022

A special extended bank holiday weekend will provide an opportunity for communities and people throughout the United Kingdom to come together to celebrate the historic milestone.

On 6th February this year Her Majesty The Queen became the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, marking 70 years of service to the people of the United Kingdom, the Realms and the Commonwealth.

To celebrate this unprecedented anniversary, events and initiatives will take place throughout the year, culminating in a four day UK bank holiday weekend from Thursday 2nd to Sunday 5th June.

The four days of celebrations will include public events and community activities, as well as national moments of reflection on The Queen’s 70 years of service. Visit the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport's interactive map to find out more about events taking place across the UK.

https://www.royal.uk/platinum-jubilee-central-weekend

2 JuneThursdaySpring bank holiday
3 JuneFridayPlatinum Jubilee bank holiday

I think it's just a practical thing.
Not many street parties would be attended in February❄️
It's also close to the queen's official birthday and as you say, aligns with the coronation.

Christ wasn't born on 25th December, why is that Christmas day?

Just take the extra bank holiday, unless you're a contractor like me, then it's just a day's less pay.

Just take the extra bank holiday, unless you're a contractor like me, then it's just a day's less pay.

I am working i can choose two days at treble time or two days double time and day in lieu. (2 extra days holiday)

Isn't the jubilee about the 70th anniversary of Madge's reign?
Not a royalist myself, to tell the truth. The idea that some lady of foreign extraction, who mixes with this planet's most unsavory types and whose government is entirely not quite right is somehow superior and of a better class even than the legendary Chippy defies all reason. But I'm not particularly gifted in that department, or so I'm told.

Last edited:
That's what it's about, the debate is about the choice of date.

…….

On 6th February this year Her Majesty The Queen became the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, marking 70 years of service to the people of the United Kingdom, the Realms and the Commonwealth.

…..
Mea Culpa!

I got the dates wrong for the death of George VI and the accession of Queen Elizabeth II.

My query is still valid though, so I can only assume that:
  • The Queen didn’t want to celebrate her father’s death on 6th February 2022. (This being the real 70th anniversary of her accession to the throne.) or
  • The Government needed something to take everyone’s mind off the state of the UK and is using the 70th anniversary as an excuse. or
  • No-one expects Queen Elizabeth II to make it until 2nd June 2023. (This being the 70th anniversary of her Coronation.)
The nearest I’ve got to an explanation is that no-one would want to go to a “Street Party” in February!
:D

• No-one expects Queen Elizabeth II to make it until 2nd June 2023. (This being the 70th anniversary of her Coronation.)
For those of us old enough to remember the golden jubilee, it was also in the summer. I don't think her majesty's longevity was an issue 20 years ago, so I think it's likely one of the other reasons

For those of us old enough to remember the golden jubilee, it was also in the summer. I don't think her majesty's longevity was an issue 20 years ago, so I think it's likely one of the other reasons

I've still got the commemorative 50p we were all given at the Silver Jubilee somewhere !
( It was the year before in 1976 that was the scorcher back then though ).

I've still got the commemorative 50p we were all given at the Silver Jubilee somewhere !
( It was the year before in 1976 that was the scorcher back then though ).
I’ve one of them somewhere too.
We’ve celebrated by getting a week away in Ireland using only 3 days leave. Just discovered as well that theres a brewery with tap room near one of the campsites we are staying at.

No celebration from me. I'm going to brew on one of the days and I'm sure my wife will find me bits to do on the other day. Still peeved that the taxes I have paid for over 50 years go towards keeping that royal nonce Andrew in a life of luxury.

viva la revolution

No celebration from me. I'm going to brew on one of the days and I'm sure my wife will find me bits to do on the other day. Still peeved that the taxes I have paid for over 50 years go towards keeping that royal nonce Andrew in a life of luxury.

viva la revolution
100%
Viva la revolución

Back