Why did my first bottle destroy my kitchen?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We might need more info about what it was, how long you fermented, how much piming sugar you used etc, but it will most likely be due to one of the following:
  • Bottled before it had finished fermenting
  • Too much priming sugar
  • Bottles not clean enough
  • Too much hop debris in the bottles causing nucleation point
  • Wild yeast infection

Most likely the bottle had something in it to cause a “gusher”
It happens from time to time, if the bottle wasn’t cleaned 100% or some wild yeast? Or something else caused it to go bad, hopefully it isn’t the full batch, make sure the next ones well chilled and open outside!
Sorry mate but I did have a chuckle at the image in my head

@Captain Crisp
If you have had one bottle erupt you need to be careful with the others, whatever the reason. After gushers its exploding bottles.
So I suggest you carefully move all your bottles into a cool safe place away from where any exploding bottles can cause any damage and then put one or two in the fridge before very carefully opening outside.
If you bottled too early (did you use a hydrometer to indicate the primary fermentation had finished?), or used more than say 7 to 8g of priming sugar per litre, that would be the most likely cause of your overcarbed beer, although as @MickDundee mentioned other causes are possible.

Latest posts

Back