Why do I need a carboy for wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterBoy

Reaction score
I've only ever used 30L plastic FVs for my brewing - mostly beer. But noticed my current wine kit asks for a 23L carboy as well as the FV.

What's the particular benefit/requirement of a carboy compared to an FV with airlock? Is this a wine thing specifically and does it really matter?

No advantage at all I use a FV and if it asks to be put into a second for clearing use another FV.

I use a pressure barrel to store my wine while it clears, there fine for short term storage if it could be a week or two before you get time to bottle.

Only thought I had was that when a carboy is full there's virtually no head-space, but CO2 coming out of the wine should prevent problems there anyway.

I degas in the PB. Rest it on something like a tennis ball tighten the lid and give a good swirl for a few seconds and release the cap, then repeat till the hiss stops when you release the lid. This forces any oxygen out of the headspace.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back