Why is it still bubbling?

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by Thatsmyleg, Oct 26, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Oct 26, 2019 #1

Thatsmyleg

Thatsmyleg

Thatsmyleg

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask about fermentation and why I'm still getting bubbles after - I presume - fermentation has ceased.

I'm using the BIAB method in a Peco boiler, and am letting it ferment in the Peco boiler as well. I've got it sat on top of a small freezer unit while it ferments. The freezer is giving off a small amount of heat at regular intervals. Fermentation seems to last about a week, give or take, at which point bubbling in the airlock will cease. At this point I'm dry-hopping with pellets, put straight into the beer (ie no bag). But soon after adding the pellets it seems that bubbling starts up again, and can carry on for weeks. Any idea why? Is the heat from the freezer causing it? Is it fermentation or is it something else?

2. Oct 26, 2019 #2

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Fermentation is best measured to decide if it's finished.
    Bubbles after adding hops can be c02 being released from solution in the wort...I think!

Ghillie likes this.
  3. Oct 26, 2019 #3

Banbeer

Banbeer

Banbeer

Landlord. Supporting Member

If it's still bubbling then it still has enough fermentables for the yeast so keep taking gravity readings to see what is happening, when you add hops it will start to bubble again naturally for a while but not weeks

4. Oct 27, 2019 #4

steveinUS

steveinUS

steveinUS

Active Member Supporting Member

Agreed. Adding something dry to a wort that is saturated with dissolved CO2 will provide dry surface areas (“nucleation points”) for the CO2 to come out of solution. (That’s about the only word I actually remember from high school chemistry class.)

Clint likes this.
  5. Oct 27, 2019 #5
  6. Oct 27, 2019 #6

Thatsmyleg

Thatsmyleg

Thatsmyleg

Thanks everyone!

Ghillie likes this.