Why is pectolase needed in turbo cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've seen some recipes which require it, but also read that it's not really needed. I'll be making my first TC soon, should I bother with it?

It's just an enzyme that breaks down pectin. Pectin causes hazes that you can't settle out or fine. If you don't give a damn about the clarity then don't use it. It's pretty much a cosmetic thing.

Not all fruits have and and some only really release pectin when they're heated, like you would for jam - it's what makes it set.

It's just an enzyme that breaks down pectin. Pectin causes hazes that you can't settle out or fine. If you don't give a damn about the clarity then don't use it. It's pretty much a cosmetic thing.

Not all fruits have and and some only really release pectin when they're heated, like you would for jam - it's what makes it set.

Thanks for clarifying (no pun intended). I won't bother with it if it doesn't affect flavour.

If you're adding a cloudy juice to your tc like pineapple or grapefruit or forest fruits etc. it helps it clear, but a straight tc with clear apple juice won't need it.

I just added 4 litres of pure apple juice to the weekly shop, really excited about this! I'm starting off by keeping things simple: apple juice, 1 cup of strong black tea and a pack of MJ cider yeast. I'm really keen on cider, but not huge on various fruit ciders (other than perry), could I add complexity by mixing different types of apple juice made from different apples?

You could try different apple juices but can't say I've noticed a difference in doing so. Maybe with the more expensive juices you might notice a slight difference, try it.
I like to throw in a litre of some other juice or a bottle of lowitz to my tc.

Latest posts

Back