Why would you choose not to shop @ Kegthat [POLL]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why go elsewhere?

• Not enough products - please specify in comments

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Too expensive

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Not local

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Delivery price

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Delivery speed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Customer service

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Never shopped with us

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I shop with you already :)

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters

KegThat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to improve and expand and would love some feedback on why you would go elsewhere :)

Please respond to the poll if you have some spare time and comment below any extra info and I will take immediate action!

Ben, I've used you and in my opinion you offer a first class service and quality products. I tend to do a big shop every few months with all the ingredients I need for the next 4 or 5 brews. I also prefer to mill my own grain. I have to confess it's a little while since I checked out your website, but if I recall correctly your range (particularly grain) wasn't quite wide enough for me to do a one stop shop, and I think that your grain is supplied crushed.

Ben, I've used you and in my opinion you offer a first class service and quality products. I tend to do a big shop every few months with all the ingredients I need for the next 4 or 5 brews. I also prefer to mill my own grain. I have to confess it's a little while since I checked out your website, but if I recall correctly your range (particularly grain) wasn't quite wide enough for me to do a one stop shop, and I think that your grain is supplied crushed.
Thanks man appreciate the comments, I have recently tried to expand our range of grains but yeah not at the position yet to be milling for each order but I am sure we will be there one day!! Cheers

You should spend a bit on search engine optimization, as we all do a Google search before a bigish spending. And to be honest your website never come up, I personally only seen it here on the forum.

To be honest, from your company name I thought you were a keg equipment supplier, not a general homebrew supplier.

Now I've looked at your website I shall certainly be tempted to give you a go, especially with the over £50 free postage.

You should spend a bit on search engine optimization, as we all do a Google search before a bigish spending. And to be honest your website never come up, I personally only seen it here on the forum.
Been spending a fortune on this, to be honest, because of the money I spend on SEO I actually lose from my website.. eBay and amazon are what keep me afloat but I see it as an investment. Since we only started a year a go I guess it takes time!

To be honest, from your company name I thought you were a keg equipment supplier, not a general homebrew supplier.

Now I've looked at your website I shall certainly be tempted to give you a go, especially with the over £50 free postage.
Haha excellent news would love to see you as a customer :)

It's about avoiding multiple p&p really. I'm always happy to deal with you and give your site a first look to see if you have all I want.
Sounds great mate, if you find a better deal somewhere else always pop me an email and I can see what I can do about price matching and giving you the best deal possible :)

I used Kegthat for the first time a few weeks ago
Ordered on the Fri arrived on the Sat for free delivery over £50 I thought was excellent .
Limited Recipe kits was the only downside but I guess you are fairly new .

I had written a reply but it wasn't fair on you Ben to include lots of competitors names in the reply here. I do think it's a really competitive space, and much will depend on the audience. I don't have any evidence but my suspicion is that the majority of home brewers and largest spend is on kits, either extract or grain. Haute couture all grain is where a fair few on the forum here aim for but that is I suspect a fairly rarified audience. For me it's about being a site that can be authoritative and give confidence in a particular area of homebrewing. So for me at the moment, I have a range of sites that I have confidence in the range or quality of their products/service, or that their products are unique. But that also means I go to different places for different needs and I'm probably not the target audience. It does make me wonder if any home brew sites are providing reviews of kits so can make a recommendation, or have an active customer feedback review system on kits, sharing subjective experiences. As a bit of feedback, labelling all beer and wine kits as 'starter kits' in the navigation does also feel a bit patronising.

So yes, I do fairly regularly take a look at your site, and your prices are good, and I like the hops you have. It doesn't provide all the information I'm looking for on the hops/grain to make me feel confident in ordering at the moment but as above, I'm not entirely sure I'm the right spending audience.

Anna

I had written a reply but it wasn't fair on you Ben to include lots of competitors names in the reply here. I do think it's a really competitive space, and much will depend on the audience. I don't have any evidence but my suspicion is that the majority of home brewers and largest spend is on kits, either extract or grain. Haute couture all grain is where a fair few on the forum here aim for but that is I suspect a fairly rarified audience. For me it's about being a site that can be authoritative and give confidence in a particular area of homebrewing. So for me at the moment, I have a range of sites that I have confidence in the range or quality of their products/service, or that their products are unique. But that also means I go to different places for different needs and I'm probably not the target audience. It does make me wonder if any home brew sites are providing reviews of kits so can make a recommendation, or have an active customer feedback review system on kits, sharing subjective experiences. As a bit of feedback, labelling all beer and wine kits as 'starter kits' in the navigation does also feel a bit patronising.

So yes, I do fairly regularly take a look at your site, and your prices are good, and I like the hops you have. It doesn't provide all the information I'm looking for on the hops/grain to make me feel confident in ordering at the moment but as above, I'm not entirely sure I'm the right spending audience.

Anna
Thanks Anna,

This has been really helpful for me. Already I have already made those changes to the menu as I agree it could come across as patronizing. When talking about more information. Do you mean when some of the EBC values are a range? When referring to hops, do you mean you would like to see characteristics displayed?

Cheers

I used Kegthat for the first time a few weeks ago
Ordered on the Fri arrived on the Sat for free delivery over £50 I thought was excellent .
Limited Recipe kits was the only downside but I guess you are fairly new .
Thanks for this mate I will work on this :)

Thanks Anna,

This has been really helpful for me. Already I have already made those changes to the menu as I agree it could come across as patronizing. When talking about more information. Do you mean when some of the EBC values are a range? When referring to hops, do you mean you would like to see characteristics displayed?

Cheers
It's about projecting confidence and being authoritative about the products. For hops, I'm looking to know and ideally have choice of leaf/pellet, knowing how they are stored and packaged, a bit of narrative about stock rotation, CO2 or nitrogen flushed. In a market with so many people selling hops, and while the prices are great, for me it's about having the confidence that the hops will be good quality and consistent. I doubt though this is the same concern for others and probably not a high volume or margin product.

It's about projecting confidence and being authoritative about the products. For hops, I'm looking to know and ideally have choice of leaf/pellet, knowing how they are stored and packaged, a bit of narrative about stock rotation, CO2 or nitrogen flushed. In a market with so many people selling hops, and while the prices are great, for me it's about having the confidence that the hops will be good quality and consistent. I doubt though this is the same concern for others and probably not a high volume or margin product.
Thanks for the info Anna, although we do nitro flush our hops and follow best practices I will make sure this information is made readily available on the site with some photos of our warehouse processes :)

Cheers

while the prices are great, for me it's about having the confidence that the hops will be good quality and consistent.

That's a really good point. I use my current supplier because I know the hops are top-notch and fresh, the previous supplier was cheaper but the hops were often of poor quality and not even properly sealed. I'd rather pay a bit more for quality rather than go for the cheapest supplier with products that won't make good beer.

To be honest it's delivery for myself and the fact I have access to two local suppliers as I prefer to shop local that be it keep on the island.
You do however have a fairly decent site though up against some big competition and with that you do need people to be confident with your products regarding info and not have them hesitating to put it in their basket.
Fair play to you as you're still in business a year down the line and hope it continues to grow.

Hi Ben first off this is not a complaint, i recently bought a reconditioned 19L corny from you and i got what i paid for a working keg i have used twice with no problems it does have a small weld right at the top and is above the liquid level, my other 2 kegs i bought from a company who grade their kegs into inferior, standard, and superior all at different price levels any chance you can do this, and yes i will be using you again soon

Hi Ben

I echo DrAnnas point about description of products particularly ingredients. I don't think this is something that only your site falls foul of either. If it's something you are able to really elaborate on it would be a way to really differentiate your website from others. I ordered some hops from you a good while ago and was surprised when I received leaf hops. I just assumed it would be pellet and when I checked at the time it didn't specify either way on your website.

Again DrAnna has pointed out in regards to reviews for kits. I don't think it would harm to get reputable people to review kits. It's something another sponsor has started doing. I've received a few emails from them for a new product with a video review linked and it did interest me more than their previous emails. It doesn't necessarily have to be this but if you could find a way to get more detailed, quality reviews from customers it would definitely help. I for one are sick of Duff reviews on websites like "my mate says it's better than the pub" "Finished in 5 days and it's like rocket fuel" "Tastes like real beer"
There are endless reviews on this forum, are you able to quote them with some form of remuneration, or offer good reviewers the option to review your products. Someone's MJ pink grapefruit review led me to buy that and I'm gonna try one of the new Muntons kits in the near future based on a very detailed review on here.

Hope this helps sorry to go on if it doesn't.

Here's my two penneth... I'm just trying to explain my mindset here so please bear with me.

When I'm brewing AG, what's uppermost in my mind is that the considerable investment I'm going to make in effort and time isn't going to be compromised by inferior or badly stored ingredients. However I'm not exactly an expert in assessing the quality of hops or grains, so I place all my trust for that in my supplier. Consequently having already found a supplier that I trust, there is very little motivation for me to change unless they let me down.

Prices are not a big factor, as the money I'm saving by brewing myself makes the cost of ingredients (almost) irrelevant.

If I cast my mind back as to why I chose my current supplier, I am sure that it would be (a) a really professional, sober-sounding website; and (b) a really good range of hops, yeast and grains. It also helps when the people behind the supplier are 'visible' on the site and talk about what their values are. I would be more likely to buy from someone who comes across as a competent, dedicated brewer themselves. Sort of the "run by brewers, for brewers" thing.

Back