Why would you publish recipes like these?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
By some circuitous rout, and while looking for early homebrew recipes for Summer Lightning, I came across a recipe database of hundreds of recipes called Cats Meow 3, which includes such gems as this:

Dull Clear Beer
Result: A clear beer with no body (what a great marketing strategy)!
Ingredients:

• 5 gallons water
  • 1 lb rice
  • 1 lb corn sugar
  • 4 lbs priming sugar
  • 1 oz cheap hops
  • yeast
  • priming sugar
Procedure:
Boil hops alone for 1 hour (there's nothing to be added to the water/wort). Ferment. Add priming sugar.

and this little gem:

Undrinkable Trappist Ale
I ued the ingredients listed below to make a trappist ale. The recipe I followed was based on one in "Winner's Circle". Unfortunately, two months after bottling, the ale has an incredibly strong alcoholic kick to it, and is undrinkable. I realize the recipe calls for quite a bit of extract and honey, but shouldn't the ale be at least drinkable by now? Should I continue to let it age? Will the alcoholic content decrease with time? Any suggestions?

Ingredients:

• 6.6 lbs M&F Old Ale Hopped Malt Extract
  • 3.3 lbs M&F Light Malt Extract
  • 1 lb Clover Honey
  • 1 oz Hallertauer Hops (for finish)
  • 1 oz Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale Yeast
  • 3/4 cup corn sugar
Procedure:
Boiled 2 gallons of water, extract, and honey for one hour. Finished with hops. Fermented in plastic at 70 degrees F for nine days. Bottled using corn sugar.

If anyone want to explore further, here's the link:
http://brewery.org/cm3/recs/index.html

Latest posts

Back