WiFi Temperature Probe and Controller with MQTT (maybe Inkbird)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillc

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a temperature probe and controller, with Wifi. The Inkbird ITC-308 looks pretty much what I need!

However, I have some additional requirements....

I'd like the device to include ability to send data via mqtt, or some other API protocol (JSON would be fine). If this is not possible, then at minimum, a browser based web page for viewing data. As far as I can see Inkbird only support their InkbirdSmart app on phones.

I'd love to be told I'm wrong and the ITC-308 would meet my requirements, because they're cheap and easy to purchase, with quick delivery.

Alternatively, any other suggested devices would be appreciated. I already have a wifi socket plug, so in theory I could use external software (homeassistant or similar) to control the heating/cooling, without the need for an all-in-one solution. Just a WiFi temperature probe, supporting mqtt or similar would be great.

You could probably make something with a sonoff th16 if you’re planning to use home assistant to control it?

Thanks for that. I've gone and bought a Sonoff TH16 to try it out. It was €25 with a temperature probe, so no real harm done if it doesn't work out.

It’s a while since I’ve played with sonoff relays or homeassistant (had them running in my old house but shut everything down and boxed them up when we moved, and don’t miss smart home tech), but back then flashing them with tasmota was the best way to integrate them into home assistant. There may be better ways now.

Finished my Bierbot Bricks build. It wasn't too difficult over all. The most difficult part was due to my rubbish soldering skills.

The good news is that when I plugged it into mains power nothing went bang, there was no smoke or smell of melting plastic. That was a win just on its own.

Anyway, it turned out that the Bricks website only supported controlling fermenter cooling and not heating, but the developer was very responsive and said he'd add fermenter heating next week. In the meantime, if I pretend our fermenter is a mash tun, everything works and the Brick controls the heating element well around the target temperature.

I like it a lot and feel somehow like I've achieved something more than just buying and Inkbird. Saved about half the price too.

photo_2021-06-19_21-10-01.jpg

photo_2021-06-19_21-10-04.jpg

photo_2021-06-19_21-10-10.jpg

That’s some quality engineering right there.

View attachment 49405
Hey @phillc , I found this thread from the link you posted on your Going Large thread.

Two questions:
- What's the little widget you plugged into the BierBot with the yellow/red/brown wires?
- I couldn't quite figure it out from the Sonoff website but presumably you must plug in an actual thermocouple or other temperature sensor somewhere. Is that the longer wrote on the right of the photo?

Yes, the Sonoff TH16 I bought came with a temperature sensor, which plugs directly into the side of the device. I think you can buy them without the sensor, but the one I bought came bunbled with it. In the picture, the long black wire as you guessed is the temperature sensor. I have this inside a 60cm thermowell, which I re-purposed from my Keg King Snub Nose pressure fermenter.

The little widget is an FT232RL board. This is needed to flash the Bierbot Bricks software onto the Sonoff. Some very basic soldering skills are required, but nothing too crazy. If soldering isn't a core skills, which it isn't for me, patience and care were in order.

The best thing I found was this YouTube video from the Brick creator. It goes into all the details, step by step.

Total costs for me to build this were:

• FT232RL Board: €6.99
  • Packet of rainbow wires and pins: €8.05
  • Sonoff TH16 with temp sensor: €24.19
  • 5m extension cable: €5.99 (I think)

Total: €45.22

I already owned a soldering iron.

You'll need a laptop, probably running Windows 10. I have dual boot with Linux, but the flashing software seemed to require Windows. You'll also need a USB cable to connect the FT232RL to the laptop. I used an old phone charger cable which fitted.

The FT232RL board can be re-used for another one if required, and the packet of wires and pins have plenty for building more. So the costs for the next one will only be €30.18. Probably could be cheaper, but I order parts that would be delivered within 2 days.

Back