Wilco merlot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m starting off another Wilko Merlot 6 bottle kit this weekend. When I did the first one, I followed the instructions, which advised I only half fill the demijohn for the first week because the fermentation is more than a tad vigorous and then top it up once it’s calmed down a bit. The only problem with that is that I can’t take a hydrometer reading with just half the liquid, so I‘m going to do the next kit in a 10litre fermentation bucket and just put in the full 5 litres of water at the beginning. The only issue with this bucket is that it doesn’t have an airlock, it’s just got a lid? My question is does that matter or could I just cover it with a tea towel and let the whole thing just ferment?
Any advice would be welcomed.

Put the lid on but don't snap it closed all the way around leave a part where the CO2 can escape but no bugs can get in.

This is the Merlot I did last year. It was bottled at the start of June 2022 and I’m now trying it, for quality assurance purposes you understand! I have ton say that it’s very, very nice and I wish I’d done more than just 6 bottles. I’m currently suffering with a bit of sciatica, and apparently, the reservatol in red wine is good to relax the nerves and muscles, so this is also for medicinal purposes! It looks cloudy in the picture, but it’s lovely and clear.

Attachments

• EF4B1DEF-62E5-4328-9156-5C5EABD2FDC2.jpeg
    EF4B1DEF-62E5-4328-9156-5C5EABD2FDC2.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
This is the Merlot I did last year. It was bottled at the start of June 2022 and I’m now trying it, for quality assurance purposes you understand! I have ton say that it’s very, very nice and I wish I’d done more than just 6 bottles. I’m currently suffering with a bit of sciatica, and apparently, the reservatol in red wine is good to relax the nerves and muscles, so this is also for medicinal purposes! It looks cloudy in the picture, but it’s lovely and clear.
I must say I have always enjoyed their wine kits ( mine were merlot and sauvignon blanc). You'll never get a real full-bodied flavour but for the cost etc it makes wine that passes very well with a Sunday roast.

I must say I have always enjoyed their wine kits ( mine were merlot and sauvignon blanc). You'll never get a real full-bodied flavour but for the cost etc it makes wine that passes very well with a Sunday roast.
I agree. It’s a perfect accompaniment to a Sunday roast, but it also went down very well with my pasta last night!

Latest posts

Back