Wild Pear Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRM

Reaction score
I've collected 6lbs of windfall wild pears today in the hope to make a small batch of wine from them. I've never known this tree to fruit well in the few years that I've known of it, and it's a single one in amongst my blackthorn pick so I have no idea what type they are, and the farmer didn't even know it was there

They are reasonably small, have a very thick skin and upon tasting them they are pretty dry, almost like a cooking apple is.

I'd still like to have a go with them but unsure on a recipe to use, being the flavour as they are would I be suited to follow a crab apple style recipe or does anyone have a good one I could try?

Thanks

You have to extract juice from them in recipes I have and 6lb wont give enough juice, requires close to a gallon of juice for dry pear wine. They seem a good pear for wine though, (jealous). I'd mash them, chuck in a bucket with a camden or two for two days with a ltr of water, add kilo of dissolved sugar, pectolase, nutrient and yeast. After a week rack off must into dj's and let it do it's job until dry. Remember it will always have a slight sweetness because pears contain sorbitol that cannot be fermented.

You have to extract juice from them in recipes I have and 6lb wont give enough juice, requires close to a gallon of juice for dry pear wine. They seem a good pear for wine though, (jealous). I'd mash them, chuck in a bucket with a camden or two for two days with a ltr of water, add kilo of dissolved sugar, pectolase, nutrient and yeast. After a week rack off must into dj's and let it do it's job until dry. Remember it will always have a slight sweetness because pears contain sorbitol that cannot be fermented.

Thanks Tau, I'll pop down again today to get a few more lbs whilst they're still there. should be easier as I kicked the rotten ones out of the way yesterday I'll freeze them up and hopefully have a go in the next couple of weeks :thumb:

Hi guys.. bit of an old thread I know but I think I've just discovered a bunch of wild pear trees in my local sainsbury carpark... very sweet but with a slightly bitter? aftertaste... not sure that's the right term but I think you'll probably know what I mean. I have an apple press so next year I'm gonna give them a go. How did you get on with your batch? Any tips etc? Many thanks!

Latest posts

Back