Wildly out of date pectolase

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnc86

Reaction score
Hello, folks. Haven't done any homebrew for years but in the face of impending Armageddon I've decided to have a bash at making some wine! I picked up up a sachet of wine yeast, some citric acid and some yeast nutrient when I was in wilko over the weekend. The other thing I think I'm going to need is pectolase, but I forgot to get it. I think I might struggle to get it it now with everything being on lockdown (without going online), had wanted to make a start tomorrow or Wednesday....

I found some pectolase with my old home brewing stuff in the loft. Best before date 2012!

Will it still do the job? Or should I my order some online and just wait for it to come? I'm an inpatient sod.

Cheers 😁

Try a WOW with clear juice,Its allready been doctored.

Most chemicals have an unlimited shelf life but not sure about pectolase
Pushed to make a guess i would say its ok as long as has not been heated.

Take salt for example you will find a best before date on the pack of a few months/year.But dont forget it has been in the ground for Millions of years.!!!!

I rarely make wine, so the pectolase tub gets looked into once every three or four years. In my experience, if it's still a powder, it's fine. If it's beginning to clump together it's suspect but probably better than nothing, if it's turned into a solid mass then it's got damp and had probably degraded and is best thrown away.
There's loads available on Amazon if you can't get it elsewhere.

Back