Wilkinsons Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to bottle or to keg ...
iv bottled this before and it was so lush ...
but cant help thinking if its better in a keg ...

what do you all think...

regards mick... :hat:

I put my GA in my Cornie Kegerator and its fantastic, you might want to have the fridge at its warmest though. :thumb:

Kinleycat said:
I put my GA in my Cornie Kegerator and its fantastic, you might want to have the fridge at its warmest though. :thumb:

i can make it as cold or warm as i like...
so what temp is your kegeratore at :thumb: .

regards mick.. :hat: .

mick may said:
Kinleycat said:

5c mate, and its a bit cold for the GA, it could do with being a few degrees higher, maybe 8-9c (?.)
Its a lovely hoppy drink and the cold hinders that.
The next batch i make i will bottle a few to put away for autumn, because the kegged stuff i go through like billyo!!

Kinleycat said:
mick may said:
Kinleycat said:

5c mate, and its a bit cold for the GA, it could do with being a few degrees higher, maybe 8-9c (?.)
Its a lovely hoppy drink and the cold hinders that.
The next batch i make i will bottle a few to put away for autumn, because the kegged stuff i go through like billyo!!

ok thanks bud ... :thumb: .
i must admit mine didnt last long in the bottles eather ... :D

mick may said:
to bottle or to keg ...

what do you all think...

I kegged 30 pints and bottled 10 so I will have a direct comparison, although it needs a few more weeks conditioning I think. Once I've tried both I will let you know.

gbox82 said:
mick may said:
to bottle or to keg ...

what do you all think...

I kegged 30 pints and bottled 10 so I will have a direct comparison, although it needs a few more weeks conditioning I think. Once I've tried both I will let you know.

ok thanks ... :thumb: .

it would be nice to no which is best ... :party: .

regards mick... :hat: .

Well FINALLY I've managed to get this kit done.

Between kids, holidays and other things going on I didn't get around to putting the kit in the primary till late June and I only got round to bottling it last night. I was panicking about leaving it in the primary for almost a month and thought I'd have to start over, but from looking online it seems some leave it that long routinely - and it certainly looked like a good drop last night :)

I brewed short to around 20 litres and added 75g brewing sugar and it's ended up at 4.5% which is bang on what I was aiming for. Now batch primed with 120 light DME, bottled and steadying myself for the long wait. I've got high hopes for this one, it looks promising!

Hopefully I'll be able to resist for four weeks....

Must be about time to get another batch on :cool:

I bottled mine two weeks ago and as I'm new to homebrewing, I felt duty bound to drink one bottle per week to educate my ignorant palate on how the taste changes over the weeks. Nothing to do with not being able to wait, oh no, not me.

I can't compare it with any other kits as it's my first, but it's very nice indeed. As the weather's cooled a little now, I'll be starting off the next 2 this weekend.

My first two can kit I am struggling to leave it alone for conditioning

I just started this today, I got a cascade teabag to put in sometime next week to see if will enhance it anything like the Festival kits I've done, I also added two packets of yeast, as they were the 6g ones that are supplied with the cheaper kits, normally I put them to one side and add S-05. So I don't know what that will do to the end result, but I'm sure to find out, anyway 2hrs after pitching the airlock is blowing like Billy-o

This 2-can kit is my first foray into home brewing,

it's currently in primary fermentation with just the malt extract/water/yeast in the FV. After ~2 weeks (when I assume the gravity will have settled, if not I'll obviously leave it) I'll transfer it to bottles with some spray malt in them, and leave to condition. (also have some beer finings that were on the wilkos shelf as well, may use them once I find out excatly how to use them and if they are necessary etc :p )

I'm a bit worried about the temperature it's brewing at, it was initially ~28c until i placed the FV in a water bucket with cold water and adding ice every so often. It's still ~24c inside the FV so not ideal but I'm praying it won't affect it too much!

I would really try and cool it more. Tile floors, cold water butts, anything like that to try and cool it. I had a Wherry go weird fermenting around those temperatures, it's still drinkable but its not one I'm particularly enjoying.

I fancy trying this one but someone suggested adding 500g DME makes it even better than the vanilla version so might give it a go once pay-day arrives.

I bottled this on thursday and it was very dark for whats supposed to be golden ale :hmm:

The temps during fermentation were maybe a little high with the hot weather we had around 22-25oc.

Will leave a month ar so and report back.

B

DamageCase said:
I would really try and cool it more. Tile floors, cold water butts, anything like that to try and cool it. I had a Wherry go weird fermenting around those temperatures, it's still drinkable but its not one I'm particularly enjoying.

Thanks for the heads up, ill have a think and try coil it more somehow

Brycey said:
I bottled this on thursday and it was very dark for whats supposed to be golden ale :hmm:

The temps during fermentation were maybe a little high with the hot weather we had around 22-25oc.

Will leave a month ar so and report back.

B
I found exactly the same in terms of colour, much darker than i thought it would be! Glad its not just me...

I also found it to be much hoppier and bitter than i was expecting, although that has mellowed a little over time.

Going to keg mine on Wed, then it will have had 2wks in the FV, one of those with a cascade teabag. We'll see what happens...

Evening Chaps, I am just testing my second batch of Golden Ale and I have to say I think I have improved on the first!
I brewed the first batch short to 21lt and treated the water with a half a campden tab prior to brew the result was a really good ale.
The second batch i brewed to 23lt but added 500g beer enhancer and used bottled water the result seems to have more of the hops coming through and not as much bitterness as the first batch.

Compared to the 3 pints i had over the weekend at a party- Sharps Doom bar, Green king IPA (tasted like it had been in someone's sock for a couple of days) and a Guinness (Which he poured out of a can round the corner) my Golden ale would win hands down! :hat:

Got mine in the keg now. I added a pack of cascade hops to it to see if it makes much difference, it does have a nice hoppy flavour. By the looks of it though it seems as though it will take some time to clear

Latest posts

Back