Wilkinsons Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on to my 3rd batch now, made this one to 23l and added 500g spraw malt medium. gonna dry hop this one with cascade tea bag, first time iv ever used dry hops. will have this one for a new years eve partaaaay

TheGrumble said:
I'm sat sampling my first bottle of this after 12 days conditioning (early, I know, but it's for science!) and I'm definitely getting honey too! I was reading this thread and joined up just to say! It does seem very sweet, almost cloying. I think I'll give it another week or so before trying another. I notice that the sediment still has yet to settle properly - more got into my glass than I would have liked.
I think it's the yeast in suspension that is causing the honey taste, I'm finding that as it settles out that flavour is disappearing and it's tasting more like a regular beer. I liked that honey flavour though! Also I think the carbonation has made it more bitter and less sweet. At present it's still less than a week into its conditioning phase though.

Hi,

This was my first brew. Conditioned in barrel for 12 days. I too had the honey taste. I liked it very much, best part of the barrel went in one weekend (although the dog did chew the tap and there is a tiny leak!).

It wasn't as clear as I thought it would be. As it was my first attempted I've learnt a few since so I will definitely try again, unless I cross to the dark side before I get chance.

Stu.

Hi all,
I could use some advice regarding this kit. SG was 1042. It's been in the primary 14 days and is reading 1019. It looked very lively pouring it into the trail jar, with quite a bit of yeast. The airlock has been bubbling regularly since fermentation started.
Should I leave it where it is and continue taking readings until they're a bit lower before bottling, or rack into secondary and see how it gets on?

Cheers

Hi guys. Ive got one of these kits that I would like to brew some time this week. Is it best done as is or does it benefit greatly from any added spray malt? I do have 2 500g packets of medium spray malt that I could use.

Manxnorton said:
Hello All,
this really looks promising for my first bash after about 25 years :cheers:
I think I will bottle instead of keg....but time will tell.
once again thank you
ATB
Bri

Hello All,
I couldn't resist getting this kit from Wilko's today even though I have two other kits already :D
mind you my innocence shines through as I got some brewers sugar aswell and when I read the instructions it wasn't needed...oh well its there for the next two batches.
my SG was also 1042 but I had a bit of a battle getting the temp down, yes I panicked :doh: so managed to pitch the yeast at 20.8 C.
so heres my fingers crossed for a couple of weeks time :pray:
ATB
Brian

I made this as my first kit brew back in June and bottled conditioned it in Coopers PET bottles. I've made two other brews since then and have another just finishing, but I'll make another of these as it really is delicious. I was surprised by the depth of flavour for such a reasonably priced kit and for a relatively low alcohol content. It's been in bottles since 13th July - about half drunk now (not a quick drinker here!) but very delicious. A bit sacreligious, but I used a bottle for a pot roast beef brisket - superb!

I did this as my first kit brew. I did it exactly as instructions.

Fermentation started fine, but was very slow to get down to the FG. It ended at 1012. Also it was very cloudy. It's slowly clearing after about a month or so. It left me with the impression that I should have used a better yeast than the one in the packet.

That said, it is very nice. As others have said, very sweet, I agree with the comment about honey flavours.

Some might find it a bit bland - I think if I did it again I would try to beef it up with some extra malt or hops

Floating around wilkos small brewing section looking for my fourth kit brew today. It took a lot longer to select the kit this time than the last 3 visits but after careful consideration and a chunk of stuff being out of stock I picked this kit for £17. Hope to get it going soon the previous comments suggest using beer enhancer which I used on the last brew but since this is still fermenting I have no experience of what tastes this will bring to the brew and what difference it would make to the final strength. Im going to start Wednesday 30th and brew it short to 21 litres using campden treated tap water.

just checked wilko.com and they dont seem to be selling the 2 can kits anymore on there?

anyone know if this is just a glitch with the website?

aah good

im bottling my 3rd batch of the golden ale as we speak. it was the first beer i did that i liked so i have a soft spot for it. however when the wherry is £1 cheaper you'd be a fool not to go for it.

think il give the wilko's real ale a bash next to see how it holds up against the wherry

Got Coopers Real Ale on now.. first attempt at a beer kit.. fingers crossed. Bought a Wilko Golden Ale as well but waiting to free up a FV for it...

my barrel of this is nearly empty,im off to wilkos this weekend to get another one, next time im going to dry hop it with some EKG, it has pleanty of bitterness but the hopps dont come through for me.

Got this conditioning in the pressure barrel .dry hopped with northdown after a week in the fv then left it for another week trial tube tasted pretty good .i seem to be revisiting kits i did when i started home brewing a year ago got a hoppy copper in now .planning a trip to my lhbs this weekend to pick up something i haven't done before thinking 2 can i.p.a I'll see when i get there.

Mines been in the primary for 13 days now. Going to take a gravity reading on a day or 2. I made it with 500g medium spray malt

Took a gravity reading last night....

1.016 after 15 days!

Should I leave it much longer than its already been? or move to another vessel?

I kegged mine at 1012 eclipse and i had no extra malt in the mix could be the extra spraymalt giving it a higher reading.I'm really no expert this is just a guess.

ECLIPSE said:
Took a gravity reading last night....

1.016 after 15 days!

Should I leave it much longer than its already been? or move to another vessel?

my recent one i did with 500 spray malt medium and got it down to 1.012 after 14 days

did it to 23l

Latest posts

Back