Wilkinsons Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started this as my first ever homebrew could someone tell me if they have tried this with beer finings ? If so when did you add them ?
Think I'll add LME when bottling.

Having bottled up the St Peter's golden ale I decided to get something else on the go pretty nifty. In Wilkinson's, having a senior moment forgetting why I'd gone in, these kits were on offer for £16 which on the face seems a good deal. Perhaps not the best at brewing as I can't really be bothered to be checking the gravity but give it about 4 weeks in the fermenting bin and then it's bottled. No explosions so far.

Having read earlier comments about the results of this kit I'm quite looking forward to the sampling.

Just started this today. Made it short at 21 litres and it has an OSG of 1.042 so if I can get it down to 1.010 I'm looking at 4.2% ABV.

I did think about throwing some sugar in to make it a little stronger but as this is the first time I've used this kit I decided against it.

Looking forward to sitting in the garden in July/August supping this!

I've been really impressed by the results of this kit. My taste, however is more inclined towards the St Peter's Golden Ale as it is less hoppy but you don't know until you find out.

These are on offer @£12.75 at the min, what's the taste like I'm gona grab a couple at that price, also if I brew it a little shorter can I get it around 5%? The milestones kits are on offer too @ about £16

Bought a load of bits and pieces online velvet stout, hoppy copper, DME, bottles etc but walked down and picked up the last Golden Ale kit :-D

I have 100g of Citra, think I'll add half to the wort then the other half in a dry hop whilst in 2nd fv

Just started this today. Made it short at 21 litres and it has an OSG of 1.042 so if I can get it down to 1.010 I'm looking at 4.2% ABV.

I did think about throwing some sugar in to make it a little stronger but as this is the first time I've used this kit I decided against it.

Looking forward to sitting in the garden in July/August supping this!

Had a disaster after kegging this. The tap on my pressure barrel broke and I lost the whole brew. To be fair to Wilkinson's they replaced the barrel and gave me a new kit without any quibble.

So I started again...

Took 4 weeks to ferment out but got it down 1010. Into the keg and I'll look forward to giving it a try in a couple of weeks if I can wait that long and the barrel holds together :cheers:

I've just ordered some Nottingham Ale yeast so I'll be adding that and also some Goldings and fuggles tea bags for dry hopping at the end but to get it up the 0.5% to 5% abv I'm going to add 500g-1kg of honey dissolved in water, going to try get some local stuff to me see if it adds a summery floral note... maybe

I've just started this last night. Made it to the full 23 litres, but with a 500ml/15g EKG tea and 500g of enhancer. I'll also dry hop halfway through for a bit more aroma. I like a hoppy nose and I'm expecting my tea will balance the enhancer to give a stronger fuller but no sweeter ale.

I had an OG of 1045 at 25c and had to pitch the yeast at this temp as I needed to go to bed, but in the garage straight away where the air temp was probably down to 17/18 last night.

Incredibly this has finished already (with the warm weather it's not a total surprise I guess) with a 1012 reading for three days in a row. I didn't dry hop in the end as planned, as I ran out of time in all honesty! So those readings suggest an ABV of 4.3 but with the bottling, around 4.5% at the end which will be perfect!

I've bottled it with 1/2 teaspoon of brown caster sugar per bottle and now in the warm for a couple of weeks. It looked quite clear while bottling, so I expect a short conditioning time. The taster was excellent so I'm hoping for big things with this - it tasted a little like Robinson's Dizzy Blonde which if that holds out will be a triumph!

I've got one of these fermenting at the moment, can't resist playing around (recipes are just suggestions, right?) so I chucked in 150g or so of brewing sugar that I had lying around, and tried one of those hop teabags (challenger) in the FV.

It's around 1.014 currently so giving it a bit longer to drop before I think about bottiling it, but going by the comments above I'm looking forward to it :-D

I made this kit back in May and have just started drinking in earnest. It finished at 1008 - which may have been 1010 in reality.

Did it to 25L with 750g of table sugar. Very good indeed. Tastes quite sweet - at the time I was experimenting with yeast washing and re-using and this was Coopers yeast, via a Wherry. No clues around whether this was a good, bad or just interesting idea. The beer is OK, though, maybe a bit sweeter than most.

Last week I was in the Lakes and bought a bargain £1 bottle of Golden Ale from a local brewery at Booths. It was a bit clearer than mine and held its head beautifully. Unfortunately it had that chemical and metallic taste you get when a commercial brew is terminated slightly early, to bottle in time for deadline that could not realistically be met. 4.7% ABV and about 4.7 out of a hundred for taste.

This kit just makes such good beer, by comparison.

Colour is a bit more red than golden, but no complaints on this one and if the sale is still on, at £12.75, it's a "no brainer".

I'm planning to do a Saison style brew using 3xcans of this. During the recent Wilko sale, I picked up a couple of these and I am borrowing an idea from SmileyR (sorry, not great on names, but it's thereabouts).

I have a Belle Saison yeast, picked up from Neale's HB stuff via Rob the Malt Miller.

Planning to do this Belle Saison out towards 27L (6 gallons) with 3x1.5kg LME cans. There is a recipe for Belgian Candi sugar on the forum, courtesy of a, sadly departed, former member. My intention is to do 1kg of this in advance and add at pitching. Also planning to add a 1L hop tea made with 25g Triskel hops at the first racking.

Also planning to wash and re-use the yeast for couple of junior Saison-style brew, perhaps not quite so - large. Maybe a Baby Belle with 2 cans only and one so young and serious it can only be called "Sebastian".

Any ideas anyone? :cheers:

I'm planning to do a Saison style brew using 3xcans of this. During the recent Wilko sale, I picked up a couple of these and I am borrowing an idea from SmileyR (sorry, not great on names, but it's thereabouts).

Any ideas anyone? :cheers:

I suggest brewing it short 20l adding some extra hops in the boil. lol

By way of an update, two months conditioning and it's turning out less Dizzy Blonde and more Speckled Hen, which is no bad thing but a surprise that as it's aging it's going that way. It's a cracking pint for the price but just a touch thin for me. It'll be interesting to see how it is in another month.

By way of an update, two months conditioning and it's turning out less Dizzy Blonde and more Speckled Hen, which is no bad thing but a surprise that as it's aging it's going that way. It's a cracking pint for the price but just a touch thin for me. It'll be interesting to see how it is in another month.

Sounds good to me :cheers:

Maybe if you want more body next time try brewing it shorter or DME?

Got this brew on last night - its only my 3rd brew so still a newbie.

The bucket lid is bulging this morning so seems to be out the gates well !

Made to 22litres, pitched the yeast at 23C but now sitting at 19C with brew belt applied in garage !

Planning to dry hop at 2 weeks with Styrian Goldings Hops (I read somewhere thats what Timothy Taylors Landlord use which I love).

I have a tea bag with 12G of Styrian Goldings hop pellets - is it better just to drop the tea bag straight in the wort (cold/dry) or to create a hop tea in a sterilised mug and add the tea + the bag into the wort ?

This bad boy was mixed with sugar, DME and honey for a whopping SG of 1070! I'm intrigued to see how strong this thing turns out to be and I'm hoping it'll lose some of its sweetness (my fault entirely, obviously.)

Which hops should I put in to give this a floral (but not grassy) taste?

Latest posts

Back