Wilkinsons Yeast Nutrient

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiddylad

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Wilkinsons Yeast Nutrient is suitable for beer making or is it only fit for wine making? The packaging only mentions wine and I not sure if it would be fit for purpose for wort. Does anyone know what the differences are in yeast requirements between wort and wine must?

Neil

It's fine to use in beer kits. If you're making beer from AG then you don't need to use it.

Are you sure? Shouldn’t extract wort contain the same generic nutrients/minerals etc as wort made at home, after all it is only the water that has been removed in the process. Ultimately the yeast nutrient is supposed to provident minerals such as zinc which is not really present in significant amounts in the water and grain bill that the yeast need to sustain healthy growth.

I've used Wilkos yeast nutrient on all my AG brews apart from 2 thus far, and I must say, it has helped the brew quite significantly. All my beers have finished on time and often gotten the hydrometer reading down to 1.000

hth, Andrew

Hi, worst case you've wasted money, best is quicker ferments. (You pays your money and takes your choice)! I don't use it in beer but always with wine.

It's not really a case of wasted money, I use it in my starters and in my kettle so I'd rather use another product if I'm unsure about it. However if it is suitable then happy days as it's cheap and convient.

I use it (wilkos) in my wine, no probs (they all tend to contain the same three ingredients, so as I said you pays etc)!

Latest posts

Back