Wilko 12L Stock Pot...isnt 12L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm with 99% certainty that it is 15 litres just below the rim by a few millimeters.

I know this because not too long ago I had to acid burn the inside of it with litre measurements so I could keep track of how much was in it before and after boiling so topped it up litre at a time till full.

I can confirm with 99% certainty that it is 15 litres just below the rim by a few millimeters.

I know this because not too long ago I had to acid burn the inside of it with litre measurements so I could keep track of how much was in it before and after boiling so topped it up litre at a time till full.

That's odd. I swear mines 13.5L.

Something that you might like is as I mentioned acid burning in the pot to mark the litres.

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3113-etch-your-kettle-projects

You can etch into the kettle. Well worth doing so you can keep an eye on things. Just need a battery, wire, cotton bud, vinegar and salt

Another forumite (cant remember who) linked a youtube vid of how to do this, which looked really interesting but I've never got around to doing it on any of my pots

I bet not :lol:

I really like the look of those buffalo induction hobs though but I do ok with my gas hob. It's enough for my 13.5L pot

I've integrated a second hand gas hob to my brew bench which has four rings but three different sizes two of which are the smallest.Santa brought the Hoppy 8 gallon pot to me and when I tried it for my stout recently I was boiling 28 litres of wort which took about 40 mins to boil but had too turn the heat down as the boil was so vigorous.I'm well chuffed with the £15 I bought it for.:thumb:

I've just finished brewing. This brew I had the wort topped off with water repeatedly throughout the boil, almost to the rim, right up until flame out. Then put the near boiling wort into my no-chill FV. Imagine my surprise when the level of the wort showed 15L! I mustn't have had it topped up as close to the rim last time. Either that or I have a magic pot (which I suspect it the more likely explanation :mrgreen:)

I've just finished brewing. This brew I had the wort topped off with water repeatedly throughout the boil, almost to the rim, right up until flame out. Then put the near boiling wort into my no-chill FV. Imagine my surprise when the level of the wort showed 15L! I mustn't have had it topped up as close to the rim last time. Either that or I have a magic pot (which I suspect it the more likely explanation :mrgreen:)

What are the chances Haha. Wish I'd bought myself one of the SS ones now. I only bought the aluminium because I thought it was bigger:doh:

Their jam pan instructions say 'do not wash' and 'not suitable for a dishwasher' - it' s solid stainless steel for Pete's sake!

Customer services are hopeless too.

Col P.

this could refer to the rivets to hold the pan's handle on. I have found whilst the ss pan is fine the dishwasher powder/tablet are attacking the rivets :-(

Darn! I nearly bought one, but went for a 15L off Amazon for 26 quid instead as I thought 12L was a tad small.

I too have the Wilko 12L stock pot and was considering trying maxi-BIAB.
What volume did you manage to get in the FV ?

I did a similar BIAB approach, many times, but usually cheated by adding a one can kit (usually Coopers) and a small amount of sugar to get a very acceptable 25L brew, without stressing the mash at all.

On that basis, I would guess that 1kg of DME gets you to full volume very easily if you have a secondary pot at 5L

The experience of how that goes would point the way to getting more from less, perhaps?

Back