Wilko beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnd

Reaction score
Looking to do either a Wilko copper bitter or newki brown kit what's best to add to it for best results thinking of Munton's beer enhancer

For kits of this type the order of preference for additions is all malt extract, 50/50 ME/dextrose or brew/beer enhancer and last all sugar. Since they are 1.5kg only and dark beer kits I would be thinking of all malt addition if you intend to brew to 23 litres.
If you have access to some hops, the bitter would benefit from that too, either as dry hop or a hop tea. EKG First Gold, or Styrian Goldings would suit the style.
Here is one review
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/wilko-sweet-newkie-brown.52005/Use the search engine to find out what folks thought of the Hoppy Copper bitter. I did it once some time ago, used 454g Holland and Barrett LME, brewed to 15 litres and dry hopped with 30g First Gold, and it turned out OK, but not spectacular as I recall.

I just bought a Wilko Velvet Stout so interested to read this thread. I'm intending to add 500g medium DME and 1kg of homemade brew enhancer 2. Maybe put a bit of treacle in too but not decided yet. Hope your brew goes well

Sounds good was thinking about a stout after doing a bitter first

I've got a Coopers stout to do as well, might do a bit of a comparison, and stack my garage full of beers in the mean time 🍻

On 8th may I did the wilko Mexican cerveza with 500g light spray malt and 750g brewing sugar(all I had left) with 25g mosaic pellet as tea at brewing (all thrown in) and 25g mosaic dry hop for 3 days while attempting to cold crash. Bottled on 18th @ 1008. Had 2 last night and it's excellent already and I'm not sure it'll improve with age. In the past I've bemoaned this kit as been pleasant but completely unremarkable(I've always added 500g light spray malt to 1kg brewers sugar) Not sure if I'm a secret fan of mosaic and just 50g has made all the difference.
I did the thirsty devil kit a month previous and added 50g US Cascade same method and it's good but can't get any rye spiciness and I don't know if the cascade has masked it of the rye content of the kit is fairly low anyway.
I did the wilko copper years ago and it was too sweet for my taste, that said I was fresh into home brewing, too eager and followed the instructions.

You'll find everyone says add extra spray malt to 1 can kits and it's something I've always stuck to. Purely on my experience the addition of extra hops has made all my kit brews better. Croosmyloof on eBay are excellent and offer free delivery but I think they're struggling with demand.
In my opinion u can't go wrong with any wilkos kits but they will improve with a few additions.

I brewed the Mexican Cerveza a few months back and replaced the sugar load with three bottles of Lowicz Raspberry and Lemon cordial.

Whoo-hoo! could not stop drinking it. It was my 'go-to' keg until it all evaporated (ahem).

I used a Kveik yeast (Opshaug) so it fermented at a higher temperature and quickly.
The SG was 1.038 finishing at 1.004 so around 4.5% with an attenuation rate of about 89%

The Raspberry was very prevalent on the nose and carried on into the taste, light mouthfeel and easy drinking.

When I get space I'll be repeating the process!

Attachments

• IMG_20191206_170117_037.jpg
    IMG_20191206_170117_037.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 99
I too have just bottled a Wilko Cerveza kit which I brewed with 1kg Wilko Brewing Sugar, 1 11g. Wilko Gervin English Ale Yeast, 2 x teaspoons of Wilko Yeast Nutrient, Iceland Celtic Mineral Water to a tad over 20 litres. SG reading prior to yeast added was 1039 and after 14 days in the FV the FG reading was 1002. I had no problems with it sticking at 1020 as some others have. Will leave it conditioning for a further two weeks at room temperature. It has come a rather dark colour for a "Mexican Style Lager Beer". Is that quite normal? Is it a lighter colour if you add a light spray malt?

I have added all sorts to these brews, honey, maple syrup, different grades of sugar, all good. The great thing about these kits is that they are very forgiving

I have added all sorts to these brews, honey, maple syrup, different grades of sugar, all good. The great thing about these kits is that they are very forgiving
As long as they are drinkable I don't see a problem. I have no idea what mine will turn out like, but fingers crossed eh.

As long as they are drinkable I don't see a problem. I have no idea what mine will turn out like, but fingers crossed eh.
Very drinkable, however I would warn you that if you do add honey or maple syrup it does take longer to ferment and age

Brew it per instructions the first time. How else will you know where you are starting from? Then think of additions. If you pimp a kit and don't really like the results, you won't know if you ruined it by modifying it.

Brew it per instructions the first time. How else will you know where you are starting from? Then think of additions. If you pimp a kit and don't really like the results, you won't know if you ruined it by modifying it.
Have made them a few times and once you know what you like always worth trying something new

Back