Wilko chocmeister stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM1989

Reaction score
Thinking of buying this kit and adding toasted marshmallow syrup, due to feedback not tasting the chocolate has anyone thought to add drinking chocolate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try cocoa nibs from a health food store and add them to the fermenter at the start.

This will be the first time I've brewed a stout. I've heard good things about the Ritchie's simply stout. Any advice

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be the first time I've brewed a stout. I've heard good things about the Ritchie's simply stout. Any advice

To be honest i am well out of my depth as i don't brew beer its something i remember reading a while ago, i am sure experienced brewers will be able to advise.

Try the Range stout kit 2.2kg for £15, add cocoa nibs to the secondary as well as coffee. Either make it short I.e 14 litres or add 1kg of brown sugar.

I'm brewing a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout at the moment. 50g cacao nibs went into the boil and 50g got roasted in the oven and added to the FV at day 5 of fermentation. I read that roasting them brings out more flavour. Friday is bottling day, so I'll see how chocolate-y it is. Last time I brewed this, it had only a very slight hint of chocolate.

Edit - just for reference, my brew is a 12L batch.

Last edited:
I've just done a St Peter's Cream Stout with coffee and cocoa nibs (from Tesco). Soaked the nibs in vodka overnight to sterilise them and then added them to the FV (in mesh bags) for 3 days. It's important not to leave them in too long, as they can turn very bitter. I haven't tasted the beer yet as it's still conditioning, but the smell was fantastic - definite chocolate aroma.

I've just done a St Peter's Cream Stout with coffee and cocoa nibs (from Tesco). Soaked the nibs in vodka overnight to sterilise them and then added them to the FV (in mesh bags) for 3 days. It's important not to leave them in too long, as they can turn very bitter. I haven't tasted the beer yet as it's still conditioning, but the smell was fantastic - definite chocolate aroma.
How many grams did you use?

Back